Thursday, December 9, 2021

Plans Change

 I smugly bragged that the vaccine was a breeze. The only thing that bothered me at all was the sore arm and the fatigue. So, I nonchalantly yanked up my sleeve and took the half dose booster.

Half dose. I was confident I would not suffer anything other than a sore arm at the injection site. Here is the thing, I don't know if the change in weather or the booster caused me to feel so horrible. Maybe I was already due for a good dose of coughing and joint pain, joined by general malaise and a headache. Who knows?

This is day four and I feel almost human again. It was the first day that was the absolute worst. Got the shot in the morning and by 2 in the afternoon, all my energy was gone. Just poof, gone. I succumbed to the fatigue and sat down, intending a rest that may or may not include dozing off.

Still having an interest in my surroundings I tuned in to the TV and settled in. Me settling in always includes drowsy dachshunds sunggled close. Toni Louise even lent her body heat to my stone cold toes. It seemed like such a good idea to just sit there. Until ....

Mr. BoJangles decided to join his siblings and vie for my attention. He scampered up to the back of the sofa to sniff my hair, then my ears and even gave the left ear a little lick. I decided to just ignore him in hopes that he would nap with the rest of us. Good plan? Not so much, as he decided to dismount the back of the sofa, using my arm and injection site to catapult him to the floor.

Caught totally off-guard, I screamed. It hurt so bad! I was not guarding my boo-boo. It had not bothered me so much until the back paws of Bo hit that spot. I cried, as I pushed the little guy away. A wave of nausea came over me and then I had a coughing fit, that resulted in a dizzy rush to the bathroom.

Toni and Bo were hot on my heels. Eddie did sit up to acknowledge my distress. Cujo raised the lid of one eye as I exited the sofa. Naps here are serious!

The night is always the worst! I couldn't sleep. I took Tylenol a mere two hours after the previous dose. Every joint in my body ached and Bo seemed oblivious to my yelps of pain as he climbed over my body in an attemt to find just the right spot. I guess it was about 4 am when I suddenly felt like I might survive. I must have had a slight fever that broke with all the Tylenol and Ibuprofen I had ingested. My injection site was swollen and hot to the touch, but my fingers were frozen, so I just used them in lieu of ice.

Despite feeling like I might make it, the second day was just as tiring as the first. Yesterday I actually cooked a meal and today the only thing bothering me is tenderness at the injection site. I might even bake a cake!

Since I didn't get a whole lot of packing done this week, I am hoping to clear at least one room. We are going to pull a trailer full of boxes and my houseplants to North Carolina next week. That is what we had planned for this week. Plans change.


4 comments:

Jo-Anne's Ramblings said...

This doesn't sound good more painful then good

River said...

That sounds a rather extreme reaction for a booster, and for it to last so long too! I hope you are fully better again by now.

Cathy said...

Oh gosh - you need that arm fit and well. Actually you need all of you to be fit and well. Here’s hoping that’s happening and the two of you, well the whole pack of you can tootle off down the Highway with no more humps and bumps and trips caused by anyone.

Linda O'Connell said...

Oh girl! Same here, except for dogs, it was a fat cat pouncing and dancing on me. I got my shot at 11:30 and by 4 pm Monday I was a hot mess: fever, aches, pains, dizzy, nauseus, complete exhaustion until 4:00 pm Wednesday. If this reaction means I have strong antibodies, I must be iron woman! Hubby says I was moaning and talking out of my head. Couldn't eat or drink. Dehydrated. Didn't recognize old prune face in the mirror.

Wouldn't want the virus. This was a near death experience. I kept feeling chest pain, then relief, leg aches, then relief. Turned out to be the cat smooshing me and cramping my knee.Slept ON me for 48 hours. I woozied my way to the bathroom but was couch bound for 2 days.

No more! Hope you have your vim and vigor back. I do and I have been hungry ever since. LOL