Sunday, December 12, 2021

Maiden Voyage

 Here we are at the end of a very long day on the road. Both of us crabby and ill-tempered, the dogs happy to be still after rolling all day.

We loaded the U-haul yesterday in weather not conducive to be outside in. It was cold and the wind blew incessantly. I loaded my houseplants onto the bed above the cab. Of course I covered it with plastic first. This is nt my first rodeo!!

After we packed boxes  and a few pieces of furniture, my big planters went in the trailer. Two Sycamore trees and several maple trees are on board. I was unhappy to note that we could have crammed more stuff in the U-haul, but the icy wind made me accept what was on board.

When we left this morning it was only 30 degrees. I dressed accordingly in a medium weight long sleeve t-shirt and medim weight leggings, knowing it would be warm on the drive. Warm would be an understatement. Just the heater in the cab was on, since I turned the heater off as soon as I got in the back and felt like I was suffocating.

The new RV doesn't have a couch. Just a booth and table that lowers to made a very short bed. I set it up as a bed and had plenty of pillows and blankets for me and my canines to make a nest. I cannot ride up front. All four dogs want to be in my lap. I don't mind one dog, but four is not comfortable. HeWho drives gets crabby when they wind around his legs and I get terrified.

We left an our earlier than we normally do and thought we might get a little further. That hope was dashed in Kentucky. The tornado that devastated the state did not forget the interstate! I was napping when we came to a stop. At first I thought we had stopped for a bathroom break or gas, but I looked out the window and saw all manner of debris along the side in the ditches. Huge road signs were in pieces and trees were down. There was a crew picking up the metaland stacking the big branches and pieces of trees. We crawled along and merged into one lane. We ate up that extra hour there.

We are in the campground with the magnificent speed bump! We will see what tomorrow brings when we leave. No shower tonight as I have two giant asparagus ferns riding in the shower. Might as well shower tomorrow after we unload the U-haul!

Hoping tomorrow brings calm winds and moderate temperatures. Just ate some JIM 'N NICK'S bar-b-que and now I am ready to check out the bed. I will be with no internet for the week. We will be coming back to the park on Sunday and meeting with the broker on Monday. 


4 comments:

River said...

I saw that tornado devastation on the news here last night. I'm hoping other blog friends I have in those areas are okay as you are.

ellen abbott said...

Looks like you're moving, park sold or not. I'm a little confused. Do you have a buyer? A maybe buyer but looking for another one via the broker? Who runs the park while you are gone?

Linda O'Connell said...

Am enjoying the ride along. stay safe.

Linda O'Connell said...

Certainly hioe your return trip provides closure so you can move on. I'm sure you will have tales to tell.