Saturday, December 25, 2021

Merry Christmas!

I fully expected to wake up yesterday completely normal, no cough, no weakness, no itchy ears. You know, because I made an appointment to go to the clinic. Isn't that what always happens? You make the appointment and like magic, all your symptoms disappear.

Didn't happen. I woke with a wonky head and was dizzy when I stood up. Made the coffee, drank the coffee, still waiting for a miracle. Nowadays a trip to the clinic involves a call upon arrival to let them know you have arrived. They call you back and question you about the purpose of the visit to determine whether they will let you enter the facility. The nurse came out to my car armed with a thermometer, oxygen level devise and the dreaded long cotton swabs. No fever, enough O2 to sustain life and then the two swabs to the nose. Not as bad as the first Covid test when I was certain they had extracted brain matter.

Then you sit in your car and wait for 15 minutes for the test results. Negative for both Covid and the Flu strain currently in vogue. I was invited to enter the building. With a mask in place. I wobbled in on my weak legs and was made to submit to the scales. I was hoping I had dropped a few pounds. I haven't gained any, so I will take that as a win.

My nurse practitioner arrived to say that she had been told that I looked and sounded awful. She was worried about pneumonia, but the lungs are clear, although the cough is traveling down. I sound like a chain smoker when I talk (bark). My throat still hurts, too. We discussed steroids. I know how fast I would start to feel better with a round of steroids, but they make me want to crawl out of my skin. Added to the current stress of moving, we decided against that course of action. I already have Zyrtec, Flonase and Mucinex on hand. She wrote an antibiotic out to be on hand at the pharmacy if I should determine no changes. 

I am all set for Christmas. Just the two of us and whatever I can wrestle up for a festive dinner. Today is Christmas Eve and I am feeling more energetic. I have started the laundry and am thinking of tackling the emptied boxes that returned with me. I am still coughing, but not as much. I managed to clean the kitchen ysterday. HeWho has been doing dishes, so it wasn't too bad. More like putting the clean dishes away and then hitting all the spots he missed in his efforts. No complaints, I was grateful for all the help.

HeWho tries, will never pass as a good nurse maid. He was quite attentive, bringing me gingerale and orange juice with just the right amount of ice cubes (he was paying attention!!). He was more than happy to hop in the car and go to the far reaches of the earth to bring me whatever I desired. I have never been high maintenance, though. I am well stocked with gingerale and orange juice. A blanket and my dogs, a cup of hot tea with honey and my world is good.

Wishing all my family and friends a wonderful, healthy Christmas Day.

5 comments:

ellen abbott said...

Glad you're feeling somewhat better, glad it's not covid or flu. Quiet here today too, just him and me as usual since we don't celebrate christmas. My daughter and her husband are experiencing their first time with just the two of them as well since all the kids are scattered.

Merry Christmas to you.

Kathy G said...

Merry Christmas to you, too. Hope your health continues to improve.

Donna. W said...

I'm sorry you had to be sick on Christmas day. Please get well soon!

River said...

So glad you don't have covid or flu. It's possible in all your packing you unearthed enough dusty long forgotten things to trigger a larger hayfever (allergy) response. I expect everything will settle and you will be back to normal once the move is complete and all the stress goes away. Merry Christmas. It's Sunday here in Aus, so it's "all over Rover" now.

Val said...

I hope you have a miraculous recovery! I'm pretty sure HeWho is NOT trying to kill you, as I would suspect if my version of him started "helping" me.

I am getting that ear thing again. No other problems, just a sometimes stuffy ear, and dizziness that will hit all at once, no warning, no reason. The first time I got doxycycline from Urgent Care, after having the shooting pains and a swelled face and teeth too big for my mouth! It took about 4 days to work, but cleared that ear infection right up. Now a couple months later, I'm wondering if it's starting again. That itching inside the ear is maddening.