Thursday, December 23, 2021

Raking and Burning

 After unloading the trailer and placing the boxes in their designated places, we returned the U-Haul and then made a stop for groceries and such. Ate up the entire day.

The third day I woke, made my coffee and waited impatiently for the sun to warm the outdoors. I was itching to go outside and play in my new playground! I unpacked a few boxes and put the contents away while waiting for the day to warm.

HeWho went out to begin siding the building. Did I think he could do this without making a trip somewhere for some forgotten tool or material? No, I did not. I had told him to gather all the necessities BEFORE we loaded the trailer to make sure everything needed was on board. It was like spitting in the wind .....

"I wish we had put a ladder in the trailer," says the man who needs a ladder. Since there was plenty of room left in the trailer, I wish he had done so, as well. Off he went to Home Depot, 27 miles away to procure a ladder. I didn't even blink an eye, as I was intent on my own plans and I had a step ladder on board for my own needs.

I had watered my plants, actually soaked them on the porch and they were ready to go inside to their new home for the winter. My new home has no wall space to speak of. It is all windows with a high ceiling. Above the windows in the living area and the bedroom are shelves. It is like the builder knew me! The vaulted ceiling at the end of the house has windows up high as well as beneath the shelf. That a perfect place for plants!

My step ladder was used well for that project. I rearranged the existing furniture and got all but a few ferns settled inside. Then I decided to investigate the tiny shed situation. Despite being told that this shed would hold "NO MORE", I wanted to see for myself. Did I mention that this man I married has no idea of space? I don't mean outer space. 

I got to work and restacked all the bins and boxes and moved all the items tossed onto the floor to hooks and screws already in the walls. The building is approximately 1/3 full. He had used all the floor space, had stacked large boxes precariously onto smaller boxes and shut the door. To him it was as full as he could get it. Do you suppose he knew I would fix it? I think he did!

I spent the afternoon raking leaves and burning them. Then I went along the driveway clipping limbs that were in the path of the driveway. I had the dog fences all spread out and sort of standing on their own. I gathered all the shepherd hooks and anything that cold serve to secure the fencing and got to work on that.

The dogs loved it. I raked their area and got their yard to it's maximum while HeWho had returned with his ladder put the siding on the building. Only thing left to do in the dog yard is to put some sort of motion light out. It is really dark on that end of the house. It is also near the embankment and the woods. I pictured bears and mountain lions grabbing my babies up! Next trip will include installing lights in the dog yard.

The sun goes down early on eastern standard time, making the days short. Three sides of the new shed was done before we ate dinner. Still haven't turned the water on to the house, so I washed dishes in the RV and played solitaire on my phone until bedtime.

4 comments:

Jo-Anne's Ramblings said...

Sounds like busy days

Joanne Noragon said...

The sun goes down shamefully early on the east coast. Congrats on all you could see doe.

River said...

Quite a lot of progress made. I agree a motion light for the dog yard is a good idea, maybe one for your front porch too?

ellen abbott said...

Fun days. Packing and moving is such a pain but the reward is to start over in a new place.