Sunday, May 3, 2009

Laundry....

I was going about my business....... doing the less enviable chores related to running a campground. I cleaned and scoured the rest rooms and decided that the laundry room needed more than a 'lick and a promise'. I took every thing that was mobile out and began wiping down every surface and mentally measuring for more equipment. With 24 pipeliners coming, most with families I am going to need more than two units of washers and dryers. I knew someone would be coming to the laundry room since one washer had just finished a cycle. The laundry bag was on the folding counter and as I moved it to the top of the occupied washer I noted a lone sock still nestled inside. Now, had I seen this while the washer was in the wash cycle I would have put it in the washer. I have been known to remove the contents of the dryers and neatly fold and stack the laundry so that someone else could use the machine. I know I could just toss it on the folding counter.........but it only takes a minute or two and I can call it my good deed for the day. Besides that, I like neat piles as opposed to a mound of unfolded laundry. I like the smell of freshly laundered clothes.

Keep that fact in mind--the smell of freshly laundered clothes. I will do laundry for a dollar a pound. I have done laundry for guys staying here alone working in the area. They usually get only one day off and don't want to spend it washing clothes. We currently have such a young man whose wife has gone home. It was his laundry I encountered yesterday. He came in while I was still in cleaning mode and emptied the contents of the washer into the dryer. He first shook out the clothes (something he probably saw his wife do). Upon discovering the unwashed sock in the laundry bag he opened the dryer door and tossed it in!!!!!!! Something I am sure he never saw his wife do. I was suddenly in Mom mode and said, "You did not just put that dirty sock in the dryer!" Looking sheepish, he replied, "Well I wasn't going to pay another dollar just to wash one sock." "You could have saved it for the next load you did." Sometimes I just can't help myself.

After my encounter with the untrained laundry doer, I went on with my cleaning and found that I had to clean out the washer he had used. It was full of grass. He is a surveyor and they clear the underbrush in areas they are working in. Perhaps he should have shook out the clothes before he washed them. It is safe to say that I wasn't going to remove his clothes from the dryer and neatly fold them, no doubt smelling of sweaty feet. Perhaps he should retain my services.

6 comments:

Hit 40 said...

How annoying (the glass)!!! The campers do not know how lucky they have it that you keep a close eye on things.

Andrea said...

Hum, I think you've proven my point.....you're life is full of interesting "kapers" (and characters!). Please visit my blog. There's something there for you.

lovelyprism said...

Wow I can't believe you're that nice about the laundry! You're a better woman than me, I would leave it where it sat!

Eddie Bluelights said...

Hi Kathy
Like the blog, this post and just saw the word verification one. I've signed up as a follower so I'll be over much more often now. Oh and by the wat you are running in my Grand National along with lots of other friends. Eddie

Nancy said...

I want to visit your campground. :-)

Kathy's Klothesline said...

Hit 40--gRass, not gLass...thank heavens!

Andrea-- You are too sweet!

LP--What can I say, I like laundry :)

Eddie--Thanks for following!

LoL--Please come see me anytime!