Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Homeless

TV was on. I wanted to see Dr. Phil's take on the octuplet situation. He is of the opinion that Nadya doesn't "get it". Really. He also thinks that we all need to look beyond it because the children will need help. Anyway, after wasting my time watching I was going about my business, half listening to the background noise of the TV, when Oprah came on. The entire show was about how people were coping with joblessness and foreclosure. I feel a little sick now. A mother and her three children wandering the streets with all their belongings in a large trash bag, going from one shelter to the next. Tent cities full of people with nowhere else to go. If you live in a tent, where do you relieve yourself, much less take a shower? They interviewed a woman who said she missed having a shower when she wanted one, flipping on the light in the bathroom, and she started to cry when she said she was embarrassed that her fingernails were always dirty. These people want to work, but can't find any jobs. A lot of the people they showed were around my age. They said they had children, but the children didn't know how they were living. (They will now if they watch Oprah). I don't have so much pride that I wouldn't call on my kids for help. Beyond that, what a horrible guilt trip you would be inflicting on your kids when they found out. I fell very fortunate to have a roof over my head and a bathroom light that comes on when I flick the switch. Things are tough, but I have everything I need and so much more. This just reminded me to be more thankful.

1 comment:

Nancy said...

I feel the same way. I have a home, and food, and electricity. Life is good.

I am just so worried about those on the edge, and those that have gone over the edge. We just don't have any idea how far we can fall.