Monday, February 23, 2009

Drug Testing

Watching the news the other day (not so much watching, as listening) I was suddenly alert. Good news as far as I am concerned. Seems one of our state legislators has proposed a bill that would require drug testing for anyone seeking state aid. The applicant would have to submit to a drug test on a monthly basis in order to receive assistance. It is almost like he read my mind. I think it is a wonderful idea. I do realize that someone will argue that this is violating the rights of the applicants and the bill will be in debate for quite some time and likely will never pass. I am of the opinion that in order to take advantage of programs funded by my tax dollars one should be prepared to suffer any inconveniences involved. If you aren't partaking of illegal substances you probably wouldn't care if drug testing is a requirement. In order to obtain employment most places now require drug testing, and if this is not considered a violation of rights, then I don't see why the bill should not go through. Think of the money the state would save! It would more than make up for the cost of the drug testing....and might even create jobs! Another argument on the table is that the children of those refused assistance would suffer. If these children are living with addicts, aren't they already suffering? Of course, if said children have to be placed in foster care, the state will still be supporting them. There is no easy answer as far as the children are concerned. They will either rise above their circumstance or succumb to the life they see as they grow. Reminds me of a couple that showed up one day asking for a tent site. Actually the man arrived first and paid for three days. Said he would be working in the area temporarily. This is not unusual and I thought nothing of it until the wife(?) arrived in the role of pack mule. They had no vehicle and had walked about 40 miles to our campground. She had a backpack containing their tent, etc, and carried a kennel full of cats. She was a mere skeleton with skin on her bony frame, rotting teeth, sunken eyes, and a body odor that defies description. Both were addicted to meth and had panhandled enough money to stay for three days. They bought hot dogs and greedily ate them raw as soon as they had paid for them. Of course I felt sorry for them, but realized that they would become squatters and would beg from my other campers. There is a fine line between charity and self destruction. I later found out from another campground that they had five children being cared fro by the woman's mother. The mother had refused to give them any help other than taking in the children. It seems she had paid for re-hab numerous times without any positive results. I guess what I am trying to say is that this bill would weed out those parents who refused to put their kids first and those who would refuse to. My vote would be yes........

5 comments:

Nancy said...

I see your point. Meth is a scourge. It is so horrific to treat, as the recidivism rate is so high. People who are getting welfare should have to pass a drug test. You're right about the children not being cared for properly if they have meth parents. The statistics with these children are heartbreaking.

I'll bet your campground will see many more coming through. Be careful. They can be very dangerous when high.

What I am wondering; is what were they doing with all of those cats??

Kathy's Klothesline said...

The cats...another story altogether! They were sorely disappointed that I didn't have catfood available. The smelly woman wanted to buy some shampoo to bathe the cats! I figured tact would be lost on her, so I offered to give her the shampoo if she would agree to bathe herself. She accepted and did indeed have a shower before they left our park. I can't say whether it helped a whole lot as I made an effort to stay upwind at all times. The cats were dropped off at the humane society by the other campground owner. I still don't know why they had the animals, but the kennel was nicer than the tent.....

Snooty Aunt Cynthia said...

Oh my gosh! what a horrible situation. and LOATHE meth! It is the worst drug ever! I have seen the devastation that drug causes. And the youth especially are not aware of what they are getting into. A regular meth user within the space of one year will find their teeth rotting out, it robs the body of calcium. It robs the brain of intellect and cause a person to literally go mad --- and sometimes to the point of no return. There are people in our society who were born physically disabled by crippling diseases or mentally ill. WHY would anyone want to take a horrible drug that can cripple you or age you before your time or leave you in a permanent state of psychosis?

Erik's RV Blog said...

I know I'm catching up but felt like commenting. Your posts are well written and I agree with this one 1000%.

I have a sister that has pushed the boundaries of the family and state services to the hilt.

Erik

Anonymous said...

My cousin's daughter has been arrested for robbery in Nebraska. She says that she was unaware of what was going on. Supposedly the lady behind the plan was calling her all day telling her she and her eldest daughter needed a ride. My cousin's daughter picked them up
and took them to their destination. They robbed someone
and my cousin got arrested for driving the getaway car.
I don't know how true that is but that's the story I got.
What do you call it?.
My site :: Beaver County PA dui attorney