Saturday, February 21, 2009

Baby, it's cold outside....

This has been a very cold winter, I think Al Gore should be here to witness the lack of global warming. It is currently a balmy 27 degrees. It probably wouldn't be so bad if the wind weren't funnelling through here like a tornado. I have two wood stoves going and it is quite pleasant in here, but a trip to the wood pile makes you really appreciate shelter. Makes me wonder what homeless people do in this kind of weather. If our economy continues in it's current path, there will most likely be quite a few homeless families in the days to come...... What exactly do you do when you can't find work and the bank takes your home? I watched the news footage of all those folks in Florida losing their homes to foreclosure. What do you do, I wonder. I think we will see more generations of families living under the same roof in the days to come. Which one of my children will take me in? I say this tongue-in-cheek, but what if it did come to that? Would I be a grouchy soul like Grandma Walton, full of stern love for the grandchildren as I cook their meals and bake their cookies? Would my children be annoyed that they have to live in such close proximity with their parents? It is hard to fathom. I got married when I was 15-a huge mistake that required moving back in with my parents and it seems that I have spent the rest of my life trying to achieve a modicum of independence. I have never lived alone. I had two children when I married the love of my life and we have only lived alone together for less than ten years. Always putting ourselves last until the kids were on their own and now the economy has risen up to bite us in the ass.

4 comments:

Nancy said...

It's scary, isn't it? I believe we are in a Depression, not a Recession. They are just afraid to use the word. I have visions of The Grapes of Wrath, and that picture of the dust-bowl mother with her little kids. We knew this was coming in September - my husband said then that the fall-out of the banks falling was yet to come. I think it is here and will get worse before it gets better. But maybe we needed this to get people back to watching their government. We have been lazy and asleep for too long.

Jilly said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kathy's Klothesline said...

Lover of Life--I couldn't agree more. I'll say it again...our government is broken and needs repair. Always be careful what you wish for.

SJT said...

I thought we were all moving in with Nick and Jill when the bottom fell out.