Monday, May 2, 2016

Peanut Butter

Life's little annoyances are sometimes the things that make you crazy. If you have read much of my blog, then you know certain things:
HeWho is my husband.
HeWho can annoy me.
HeWho loves peanut butter.

I buy the big double pack of the big jars of peanut butter. I tried the gallon size Jif in that cardboard looking container and I had to agree with HeWho is the reigning peanut butter connoisseur. It did not taste as good as the jars. Besides that, Toni Louise would be deprived of her favorite treat. She seems to know when the jar is nearing empty and will stand watching expectantly for that jar. He always leaves more in the jar than I would, what with me knowing what a spatula is for.

But that is not the most annoying thing he does with his peanut butter. He will eat just about anything with peanut butter on it. Today he made a doughnut peanut butter sandwich. He eats it on biscuits, cornbread, garlic toast and all the normal stuff, as well. He eats peanut butter every single day. Without fail. He makes a sandwich at least once a day. He is working on some blackberry jam currently.

This is the annoying part of my peanut butter loving husband. He does not make the sandwiches correctly, and yes, there is a right way and a wrong way! He used to get peanut butter into the jam or jelly, until I gently pointed out (nagged incessantly) his error. You put the jelly on first and then wipe the knife on the clean bread before you insert that knife into the peanut butter. Jelly is easier to wipe off that knife than peanut butter is.

Having accomplished that bit of training, one would think he could listen to the rest of my instruction (nagging) and not leave a peanut butter coated knife where ever he happens to be when he constructs his snack. I find them every where. On the edge of the sink, on the counter, on the kitchen island and always coated in peanut butter. You would think he would lick that knife clean! But, no, he says he leaves it un-licked in case he wants another sandwich later. But, I can testify that he does not re-use the knife, getting another out and leaving it coated with peanut butter.

I estimate 1/4 teaspoon of peanut butter left on the knife, meaning that he wastes a teaspoon of peanut butter every 4 days. In a year he wastes 91 teaspoons of peanut butter and that is only accounting for one knife each day! That is a lot of peanut butter. There are 3 teaspoons in a tablespoon, so that would be 30 tablespoons, or more than enough peanut butter to fill an 18 ounce jar!

3 comments:

luksky said...

I have to admit, peanut butter coated knives left on the counter is a pet peeve of mine too.

Val said...

He could let Toni Louise lick the knife...

Linda O'Connell said...

I always dip into the peanut butter first, then the knife goes into the blackberry jelly. If my guy hadn't invited me to the two-fer buffet today, I'd be munching PB&J. NOT on garlic bread, though.