Tuesday, March 21, 2017

Tomorrow Might Not Come

You never know what other people are feeling, or thinking. Well, unless you actually know them. My children tell me I wear my thoughts on my face, but I think it is only apparent to them, because they know me so well.

Here I sat casually eating my toast to accompany my meds, scrolling through my e-mail and listening to an audio book. Nothing much on mind. Another warm day is blooming along with my peach trees and I was letting my mind just float along with garden thoughts ......

The bell to the office sounded and I got up to go tend to the camper while shushing the dogs. I smiled at my new tenant, hoping he didn't have a major issue with anything. He had just checked in last Sunday and this was the first time he had come in since. I recalled that he had told me he would be bringing his wife in to meet me .....

I looked past him, expecting to see her. He was alone, though. "I just wanted to let you know that my wife died and won't be coming to live here." I was so shocked that I gasped as my hands flew to my mouth. I offered my condolences and he went on to explain that his daughter-in-law would be staying with his teen sons when he was working (over the road truck driver). I nodded as he relayed all this. I was speechless (a rare event).

I asked if she had been ill and he went on to tell me that she died suddenly of a heart attack ...... while he was setting up the camper here last Sunday!

Life is short and there is no guarantee that you will have tomorrow. I immediately called my husband to tell him that I love him. I am so sad for this man I barely know.

8 comments:

Joanne Noragon said...

Such a tragedy.

Anonymous said...

Me too. I'm glad you shared this story. We all feel your pain, and you are right, we have no guarantee for tomorrow. Holding you in my thoughts.

Val said...

Aww...the poor guy. He must feel so lost without her. It probably helped that he got to talk to you a little about it.

Kathy G said...

Wow.

Linda O'Connell said...

That is one sad story. One never knows. You were probably a ray of sunshine to him.

joanne said...

That is so sad, and shocking. You just never know...it's been on my mind a lot lately. Trying to make sure I don't leave things unsaid. Best wishes to that poor man.

ellen abbott said...

yep, you never know. don't know which is worse...your loved one dying suddenly or dying slowly.

luksky said...

How sad, you are right, you never know...