Saturday, October 21, 2017

Full Service, Please!

Okay, I was able to post!! This exciting, I keep wait

That is as far as I got yesterday before my words would no longer appear, shortly after that the entire thing froze up and I couldn't even read other blogs.

I shut it down and said some words and sent a message to my son.

It is working today, so far. A storm is brewing. We are supposed to have a rain storm with hail and high winds. That will pretty much wipe out the movie tonight. Even if we were under the pavilion, the wind would have us all soaked. I am tired and not all that disappointed.

Last week with a couple of little old ladies tent camping has left me  ...... annoyed? Disillusioned? The lady making the reservation was with my church group on Labor Day weekend. I give them a really good discount. They are a large group and have always been respectful of my property and my profit margin. They are mainly tent campers and they squish those tents together and leave me as many open spots as possible for me to rent. They never complain and the guy who organizes the event handles everything for me. He counts the heads and gathers the money, making it one of my easiest holiday weekends.

So, this sweet little old lady cornered me before she left after the holiday weekend. She told me she didn't have much money and wanted to bring her friend/relative on a camping trip. I made the reservation and gave her a very nice discount. It is my prerogative to extend such discounts as I see fit. I have been known to let some stay free and even feed them. I am quite sure I have been taken advantage of before and no doubt, will be again.

The ladies arrived and set up camp and then started to shadow me for entertainment. I was elated to lock up after the first day. I treasure my alone time. I enjoy being on my own as I go about my daily chores. The next day proved to be as trying as the first day. I hated to go outside, lest I find myself in the position of entertaining. I was trying to get the sign painting done and ready for hanging and really wanted to be done with it, so I could move on to another project.

They were here for three days and the last day was much like the first two. The church lady came in and plopped down in the chair. She announced that her tire "was low" and wanted to know if I could "blow it up". Really, me. As most all my friends know, I do not even fuel up my car. I am a kept woman as far as my driving needs go. I told her that my husband was out by the barn (aka Fred Sanford's Emporium) and that he did have a compressor. She said she didn't want to bother him, as he was busy. I will pause here, as you imagine those words playing in my head.

She wanted me to bother him to fix her tire, but before any more was said, Martha, the boy cat, sauntered into the store. She jumped from the chair and ran out the door exclaiming that she was allergic to cats. If only Martha had made himself available earlier! I did give him an extra treat and simply forgot about the "low tire".

Next morning, as we were starting the day, Church Lady (having erased the sight of Martha from her mind) arrived in the store to chew out HeWho owns a compressor for not attending to her tire the night before. I heard the exchange from the kitchen, but did not appear to back up HeWho. He took the assault and apologized to her and told her she should have brought her car to the barn and he would have been more that happy to help her. That silver tongued devil is a sucker for little old ladies.

The tire was sitting on the rim and something tells me she is quite familiar with "low tires". Nothing was stopping her from traveling the mile to the nearest gas station to take care of the problem. I was still feeling kindly towards her, though ..... until I went out to clean and stock the bathrooms.

They apparently kept all their trash and garbage at their campsite until they were ready to leave. When exiting the campground, one must go right by the dumpster. Most campers bring the trash with them and toss it on their way out. Instead, they took the top off the would be rain barrel that was full of water, underneath the gutter at the end of the building where the bathrooms are and SHOVED THEIR GARBAGE DOWN INTO THE WATER.

No longer feeling charitable, I used considerable force to tip the barrel over in order to get the now soggy contents out. My hands were encased in gloves as I picked up the remains of their dinners and tons of wet paper towels. The cold water faucet in the ladies shower was broken and evidence of their daily hygiene was on display. No good deed goes unpunished.

To sum it all up, the phone call of the week: "So, tell me, what kind of activities do you have planned for the kids?"  So many answers to that question bounced around in my mind, but I just replied that we didn't have any planned activities for kids and went on to extoll the amenities of the park, the playground and the pond for fishing.
"No planned activities for the children while my husband and I go to Oktoberfest?"

I suppose I could do that, but it would cost the parents SO MUCH!!

5 comments:

Linda O'Connell said...

People just do not get it, do they? I would have said, "Oh the kids rake, weed and chop wood."
They'd probably agree, so they could go off and party.

Val said...

You'd think old people would have more common sense! Especially about the rain barrel. Good thing you don't have planned activities for kids. The parents might pay for them to camp there until they're 18.

Joanne Noragon said...

My friend classifies it: millennial expectations.

ellen abbott said...

perhaps you should amend your sign to say this is a camp ground not a day camp. but then that would only work if people actually read your signs.

Kathy G said...

Some people really feel entitled, don't they?