Thursday, October 26, 2017

Crop Circles


As I was mowing today I remembered that I had crafted a clever post not so long ago that was eaten by the devil computer that will soon be replaced.

It had rained all week and was finally dry enough to mow, much like today and as I was mowing the side yard near the pool and the playground I noticed what looked like rocks in a large circle. I walked over to see  and to pick them up before HeWho mows over things could damage his blade. Remember, I do all the prep work involve in mowing. He will either mow around obstacles, such as picnic tables or move them WITH the mower. Then wonder why the frames of the tables are bent ...... but I digress.

I thought that perhaps a child or two may have placed the rocks on the ground for whatever reason. You can't really tell from the picture, but this was a very large circle. I even grabbed a bucket to put them in.


Not rocks! These are mushrooms! In a circle! On my property! Creepy!!


These are close-ups of the mushrooms and I never thought I would say this, but I wish we had a drone for a bird's eye view! I tried to get a picture of the entire circle, but I had to get too far away. It was big enough to park a few cars in and have room left over. Mushrooms. In a circle. Wonder what that means? I am happy there was no bull's eye in the center!

6 comments:

cladd said...

The mushroom circles are known as fairy rings... they start small in diameter digesting the food source underground in the center and then move outward as the center food is used up.

Anonymous said...

Yes, fairy rings or circles. They are quite common here in the San Joaquin Valley in places where trees have grown and been taken down. I remember them in our yard when I was a small child, 60 some years ago.

Kathy G said...

I saw several of these in my neighborhood a couple of years ago. They started appearing suddenly, and after that growing season was over never appeared again.

Val said...

I remember hearing the term "fairy rings," but I'd forgotten how they formed.

Joanne Noragon said...

You have a couple of fairy ring experts at the head of the column; nothing more to add, except, you may go dance in the ring in the moonlight.

luksky said...

X marks the spot!