Tuesday, October 31, 2017

85 Degrees

My new laptop is on the Fed-Ex truck!! It will be here soon. And wouldn't you know it ..... the old laptop is behaving. Too late!

Yesterday was a lost day. I sat like a giant slug in front of the TV. I was cozy all day with dog warmth. Always Cujo, lots of Eddie and Wall-E and at one point all four were in my lap. Eddie is jealous of the laptop. He will lay his sweet little head on my hand and prevent me from using it.

I know I could push him away. I tried that and he looked up at me with such a hurt expression. Besides, old laptop was misbehaving. So, Eddie had his way.

Misbehave, behave .... those words always make me think of my Adrienne. She used to say. "But, Mommy, I was being have (long "a"). She had her own vocabulary and in an odd sort of way, it made perfect sense.

But, all this has nothing to do with the title. I usually write, then give the post a title. I changed it up today. There is a chill in the air. I pulled all my plants inside and closed the storm windows. I was quite content with the air temperature. I put a pair of socks on my toes and slipped my feet into my favorite Dawgs. Long pants and a long sleeved shirt. I was comfortable, HeWho was not.

We have the same argument every year. I see absolutely no need to turn the heater on. I think 66 is fine. If you are cold, grab a lap blanket and a dog. If you are up and moving around, you won't be cold. He will happily turn the air conditioner down to 66. This makes my toes cold, but he insists that it is too hot.

So, yesterday, while I sat covered in hot dogs (pun intended), he built a fire in the wood stove. I was hoping he would just build a small fire, then let it simmer. You, just to take the chill out of the room. I should know better. We were watching Judge Judy and then I was asleep dogs tucked in around me and my recliner reclined to the fullest extent.

The phone rang and I woke with a start. I was sweating. The dogs were sweaty. HeWho builds fires was at it again. I complained, the dogs complained. I took care of the phone call and bumbled around the kitchen with thoughts of dinner. HeWho went out to fill some LP tanks for customers and the temperature slowly became bearable again.

As the night wore on, HeWho loves a fire could not seem to stop shoving logs in wood stove. I had stripped down to my underwear and finally announced that I was going to bed. I let the dogs out and discreetly checked the thermostat to find that the temperature was 85 degrees. I went outside to gather Eddie and friends, good excuse to cool off before I could secretly open the bedroom window. 85 degrees. If it was summer and the temperature was 85, HeWho would have the air on.

6 comments:

luksky said...

Inside air temp is a never ending battle between me and my hubs. He's hot natured and I'm a true southern girl who prefers toasty, warm air, unless I'm sleeping.

Joanne Noragon said...

Definitely incomprehensible.

Val said...

I like to be warm in the fall/winter, but 85 is a little excessive.

Anonymous said...

We keep the thermostat at 80 in the summer when our temps are over 100 on most days, and we keep it at 70 in the winter when the day's temperature falls to 58. I'm always saying how I wish we could keep it at 80 degrees year round, but my husband just gives me the evil-eye. I really like to be warm.

Kathy G said...

The older I get the chillier I like it. Especially at night.

Linda O'Connell said...

TRUTH...every word! I have threatened family if they turned on the heat before Nov. 1st.