Friday, June 15, 2012

Friday Mornings

Friday mornings are sacred. It is the final bit of relative freedom I will experience as I rush into the weekend. It is the last day of the week that I will not open my doors until 11. This is my last time to sit and savor the dregs of my coffee cup in solitude. I sit and review what has been accomplished and what still needs to be done. I decide what I can do and what will wait until next week.

This Friday is special, though. I will not paint the signs or transplant seedlings. No, I will be dusting, mopping and making beds. Yes, beds. Plural. My baby girl is coming to see her mom!! I am so excited to cram all of her family into my tiny abode. Her bed is ready and I will be putting the cots up for the kids and banning excess furniture to ........ somewhere.

Then I will be in the kitchen to bake the cakes necessary for the celebration of the birthdays missed and the birthday that will be here on Sunday. So, if you plan to swim in my pool today, come on and enjoy the water and forgive me if I don't stop to gossip. My baby is coming home!!

The camera has to be charged and the furniture made free of the ever present dust that comes with living on gravel roads. The tub must be scrubbed and the towels washed and sweet smelling. The cots need their thick foam mattresses dressed and ready for Gavin and Kyra to fall into upon the late arrival.

Yes, as all Moms around the world will do, I will make ready for them and everything will be spotless. This is the only time I really clean my home during the season. We make do with spot cleaning unless company descends. I have decided that I need a wife! I would rather be outside or in my sewing/craft room than in my little house this time of year.

I have told the dogs to ready themselves for a visitor. The puppy we nurtured for a week before taking him to his new home with Gavin will be here, too. Wall-E is unsure about this; Gavin being his boy first. Wall-E will abandon his beloved Papa as soon as Gavin arrives. He loves that boy and seems to know that his first loyalty is to Gavin, the little boy who loved him first. Gavin's cot will be at the foot of my bed. Wall-E will sleep with him, leaving Papa with a little void next to him.

The puppy Max will no doubt have a show-down with the the reigning alpha male, Oscar, upon arrival. Toni Louise will be giddy with happiness to play with a bundle of energy and Wall-E will ignore him as he goes about the business of reclaiming his boy's love. Little Martha will do what all kittens do and insert her little self into the middle of it all. My new 'almost' granddaughter, Kyra, is a cat lover and she can keep Little Martha safe.

Yes, I am excited. My cup is empty and I have so much to accomplish today. Why am I still here?? Look for pictures next week. Looks for tear drops on them. I always cry when they leave .......

7 comments:

mamahasspoken said...

I'm thinking thank goodness you got the bathroom finish (I think this is the grandchild who didn't like the old one)!

Brian Miller said...

woohoo....have a great time...i know you will but...

Hillbilly Mom said...

I am giddy with anticipation just from reading about the upcoming reunion.

lotta joy said...

I had to put a link to your blog on my post today. Then I come scurrying here to see photos of Martha....Your kids sound like they are fun to have around. SOME grandkids are in it for the booty, gifts and $, but it sounds as if yours are in it for the enjoyment.

Joanne Noragon said...

I'm so happy they're coming and deal with them leaving later. What a fun and frantic week you'll have.

Kathy G said...

Enjoy!

Linda O'Connell said...

Kathy I know you will have a blast this weekend. I know all about spot cleaning and leaving a space at the foot of your bed or in your heart for offspring. Won't they just love the fur babies?