Wednesday, November 28, 2018

Martha, The FAT Boy Cat

I have lost all concept of time. I thought Monday was Sunday, having no memory of Sunday at all. That was the day I went to Walmart to get my RX that I chose not to spend $300 on. But that was Saturday, I thought. Maybe it is Saturday that is lost? No, that was the day I put all my Christmas lights up, except for the ones requiring a ladder. Kevin took care of those on Thanksgiving, despite the fact that he was as sick as I am now. 

Today is Wednesday according to my phone. My throat hurts so bad. Feels like I swallowed a bowling ball and it is still lodged halfway down. I am weak and snotty and not fun to be around. HeWho has announced daily that he is sick as well. If he is, it must be a very mild case, as he keeps jumping up to go places. 

Today he has gone to pick up his mower. Why the hurry? Snow is covering the grounds. Weather predictions call for 60 degrees on Saturday, but even if we did mow this time of year, the grounds will be too soggy. His thought process has always been a baffling mystery to me. A scary place.

Yesterday morning I coughed non-stop for 45 minutes. Being the considerate person that I am, I left the bedroom for this event, so that I would not disturb HeWho slept. In retrospect, I could have stayed. He did not hear his dog barking in the wee hours, standing with her paws on the bed, on his side. She wanted a lift up. She will get down okay, but the bed is so high I must employ a stepstool. I bought doggy steps, but they all just look at them disdainfully. They all prefer to be lifted in human arms.

I know my dogs are spoiled, but I don't care. I love the fact that the male dogs prefer me and Cujo will actually run and hide from the man in the house. Martha, the boy cat has always been low maintenance. If he is trapped in the house he will use the litter box. He prefers the great outdoors  and normally hunts all night.

We usually leave camper Andrea in charge when we travel. She was unavailable this time and Kevin took over my duties. Martha, the boy cat likes Andrea and DJ (husband of Andrea). He know them to be the loving parents of Miss Kitty and accepts them in my absence. Martha is a very touchy feely creature. He greets me with much leg rubbing, so much that he has been known to trip me. He does the same with Andrea, and sticks to his out all night schedule, happy to see her to be let in to lounge the day away in my bed ……. on my pillow and often dragging my night shirt close to knead with his mighty claws.

The litter box remains unused. Andrea was worried the last time she stood in for me. She was going to clean the litter box and was afraid he had made a mess somewhere in the house. So, imagine my surprise upon finding that the litter box was very much used in my absence. Martha was very happy to see me and although he tried to be aloof, he was happy to see his canines.

Kevin told me that Martha would give him the stink eye and run to hide from him. Martha did not go outside the entire time we were gone! No wonder he looked even fatter!


Martha, the boy cat has been inside the last few nights and has made use of the litter box. I am not a fan of changing the litter box and Martha seems to think the entire laundry room belongs to him with his food and litter box. He is a sloppy digger and cat litter litters the floor. He has a self feeder that I filled with a month's supply of food before I left. He ate a two weeks supply in only 7 days! Needless to say, I am now monitoring his food. He has a really pitiful loud meow that tells me he is not happy.

Such is life. The snow is slowly melting and the sun is trying to peek through the clouds. I am sipping hot tea and contemplating a nap. Rest and fluids, you know.

4 comments:

Val said...

I wish you a speedy recovery, but this current virus seems to drag on. At least your nose will be clogged for dealing with the litter box!

Kathy G said...

One of our cats would eat nonstop if we let him. We CANNOT leave a self-feeder out!

River said...

My Lola is also an enthusiastic digger and I'm constantly sweeping up litter and dumping it back in the tray.

Linda O'Connell said...

Sorry you are feeling so poorly. Hope the crud leaves you soon. I also will get up at night to cough, but the mister unwraps cough drops and flips on lights while I am (no longer) sleeping.
Dogs should be spoiled. We went away for two weeks and our cat ate nonstop and looks inflated. He isn't happy to be on restriction and yowls pitifully, too.