Friday, September 2, 2016

All The Little Annoyances

All the things that have the capability to become an annoyance have conspired to visit all at once. It started yesterday. Yesterday I wrote a scathingly brilliant post that Blogger refused to publish, no matter how many times I hit that orange icon. So, what does one do? I hit the save icon and it would appear to have saved my words. Later, though, the words were gone, like POOF into wherever all things go.

As you can guess, I was annoyed when I created the post, because that is when I do my best writing. How ironic was it that that was the best day I have had since the visit to the dentist. My mouth was simply sore yesterday and not throbbing ...... like it is right now as I wait for the Tylenol to kick in. I had my stitches out last Tuesday and discovered that my jaw is sort of locked into place. It makes eating difficult, but maybe I will drop a few pounds. When I am really hungry, I am sure that watching me have to chop everything paper thin to be able to cross my lips and into my mouth is not an appetizing sight. I have to follow up with the dentist in 2 weeks. I have some isometric jaw exercises to do until then.

Yesterday I thought I was opening my mouth a bit wider, but this morning I feel even worse and my mouth is not cooperating at all. My lower extraction area is throbbing, making me wonder if one of my daily pills make have fallen into the cavernous hole and now sits there slowly dissolving. But, I don't have a bitter taste in my mouth and I would think that would accompany the dissolving action.

I had some trouble falling to sleep last night (Hello, Darkness my old friend .....) as my insomnia paid a visit. Could have something to do with the fact that this was the first night I went to bed without benefit of pain meds. I finally succumbed at 3:30 and got up and downed 600 mg of Ibuprofen for the pain in my hip. The pain in my hip could have been due to the configuration of my body, in order to not disturb the canines in my bed.

Got up at my normal time and have been crabby and in pain since. I was looking forward to a cup of coffee and some time to myself before I had to open the door and greet the public ..... didn't happen. As with every holiday weekend, folks start showing up early. I even posted a sign on the front of the building that states check-out is noon ..... therefore check-in is AFTER noon. My store hours are posted, as well, but are disregarded, too.

The phone has been ringing all morning and I doubt it will stop any time soon. I just know that when 9 pm rolls around, it will be going to voice message. Yesterday the phone pretty much did the same thing as I tried to help with the prep mowing. I was just about to close the locked door behind me and head back to finish one of the areas I mow, after taking a reservation, when a truck pulled in and stopped in front of the office.

My hand lingered hopefully on the door knob as I asked the man if I could be of assistance. He slowly dismounted his truck, being a short and nondescript man. He waited until he was down and had shut his door before acknowledging my question, saying he was looking to camp here this weekend. I headed back in, him on my heels and asked what kind of site he would be needing.

When a campground asks you this question, they are looking for specifics, such as 30 amp or 50 amp, full hook-up or just electric, in the sun or in the shade. "Well, now, I liked the one you put me in last time I was here." I ask him to refresh my memory and he tells me he is the brother of the woman that used to work at Local Café. Once again, not the answer I was looking for. After a bit of prying, I found out the general area he had been in and that he needed 30 amp, despite the fact that he was quite sure his 24' travel trailer was a "big un" and would definitely need 50 amp.

I present the site map to him and show him that I only have one site left that met his criteria. I explained that it was a double site and would have a fifth wheel in front of his camper, but that the man occupying the fifth wheel would not be here this weekend. He was incensed! Why could I not put him in the site he liked? "You know I got my little grandchildren! I don't want to be around other people. We got to think of them children!"

At this point my patience had fled and I told him to take it or leave it. He decided to take it and after a long discussion on a secured reservation, as opposed to a non-secured reservation, he finally tossed his Visa card at me and took down the necessary info, all the while thinking I was a good 20 minutes behind my self enforced schedule. 20 minutes of my life I can never get back. Long lost 20 minutes.

When I came back inside I saw the light blinking on the answering machine. Seems the brother of the former waitress of the local café had decided he was not coming after all ...... too many people.

Another message on the machine had me listening to a man and his wife as they drove on the interstate. I know I heard her say to turn left and the man finally left a message saying he was looking for my campground. It was a message that had just been left. I could not make out the number he left on the machine, but I scrolled back and called. The man told me that they were at the state park, having been unable to find me.

I think I saw them drive by. They passed the highway signs and my huge sign in front of the park to get to the state park.

This was yesterday and today is not looking good!


Val said...

Your (would-be) customers are some real goat-getters!

Linda O'Connell said...

Geeze Louise, some of those people are bonkers. You deserve a break, woman, and you're not going to get it dealing with doe-does. Maybe someone will serve you dinner.