Thursday, February 25, 2016

You Can Teach An Old Dog New Tricks!

The part came for the Wi-Fi and I can read again .... and even comment. I am so happy!

Or, maybe it is the cake I just ate. I thought I knew everything there was to know about the process of baking a cake. I used to bake cakes at least 3 times a week when the kids were growing up. Never, ever did a cake dry out in my house. I was lucky if I got the crumbs from the plate after my first piece.

Since it is just the two of us, I don't bake as much. I try to cut recipes in half, but it is just a pain and never turns out as good as the whole recipe. It was our lucky day when DJ and Andrea moved in! I can bake a whole cake and give half to them. Andrea doesn't eat much, but DJ loves sweets as much as HeWho. He never brings a dish back empty, either. He is an accomplished griller and his offerings are usually of the meat variety.

So, I saw this recipe on one of those food sites. I had three really ripe bananas and I didn't want banana bread. I like banana bread, but I wasn't in the mood. I saw the picture of the banana cake and it looked good, so why not. I learned something new with this recipe. It said to take the cake directly from the oven to the freezer! For 45 minutes. Said this would make the cake stay moist longer. I don't think it will be an issue.

The cake is wonderful! The banana flavor is very pronounced, but the cake is moist and light. I was afraid it would be dense and doughy after the freezer thing. It worked, though. Who would have thought I had never learned this trick?

4 comments:

Joanne Noragon said...

That's incredible. Too bad I don't cook. I'll pass it along, though. It's too good to ignore.

Anonymous said...

So, where's the recipe?

Val said...

But can I teach my sweet, sweet Juno to bake a banana cake?

ellen abbott said...

maybe it only works on the banana cake.