Monday, January 30, 2012

Pick Your Own Price

The phone rang as we were having dinner. I know some people simply ignore the phone and let it go to voice mail when they are otherwise engaged. I can't do that. When you have a business, you can't afford to. I will simply hang up on a telemarketer ..... but that is another story ...........

I answered the call as I always do, identifying the name of the business. The caller wanted to know if we had an available site for a 50 amp pull-through, full hook-up. I assured him that we did. He then told me where he was and asked which exit to take. I gave him directions and he seemed a savvy traveler, as he knew what I meant when I said that I was on the north side of the interstate. He would be a late arrival and I indicated that he should stop at the office where there is a night registration. I gave him a site number and told him the price was $30.

I finished my dinner and mentioned to my mate that it was refreshing to talk to a man who could take directions.

This morning, he who doesn't mind sticking his hand into the night drop box, announced that there was no envelope with payment inside and that the occupant was still on site. So, I am assuming they will pay when they are leaving.

He, who hunts wrecks, leaves to go to the base camp where he can smoke and gossip with his little buddies to his heart's content. I have enough trouble breathing in a house heated by a wood stove, we will not be adding vile cigarette smoke. He instructs me to watch for that 5th wheel.

I suppose he pictures me with binoculars spying on the campers, alert for signs of leaving. I suggest that it would be easier to knock on their door and ask to see their registration. Then they could carry out the paying for the site ritual right then and there. But, he disagrees, afraid he might wake them.

He will write down the license plate number of those who have parked without paying. What we will do with this information is unclear to me. Will the state patrol run these non-payers down with siren and flashing lights to demand they return and pay? Maybe. At the very least it would be humiliating to have an officer of the law chastise you for skipping out, but would that compel you to actually make payment?

I ponder things, you know. But, when I looked up to see the 5th wheel, in clear violation of my speed limit, headed out the exit, I wondered what he expected me to do. Was I to grab my keys and give chase in my car? If they did stop for the crazed, caffeine deprived woman in the VW bug, what then? Do I drag him from the drivers seat and proceed to berate him for not paying to stay?

I decide to go check the drop box, since I am still clad in my jammies, coffee cup in hand. I tend to move slower in the morning, as my joints protest the chill in the air. They have indeed dropped an envelope with cash inside. But the amount left has left me puzzled.

Inside I find a twenty and four ones. The cost of a 50 amp full hook-up site is $30. A 30 amp full hook-up is $28. Without sewer it would be $28 and $25. My point being that I have nothing for $24. So, do I assume that this is all the cash they have on them? Or ...... did they simply decide that the stay was worth $24?

13 comments:

Brian Miller said...

hmmm...i have a feeling they knew something with the way they hightailed it out of there...

Joanne Noragon said...

Hmmm--i'd vote for all twenties and four ones available. But, we'll never know. Unless they come back the same way.

SkippyMom said...

Perhaps since he didn't stay for 24 hours he felt he could prorate the cost by 6 bucks?

I swear people are so dishonest and rude. I couldn't sleep at night if I stole like that.

Sorry Kathy. I wish there was something you could do.

mamahasspoken said...

Seems like all the campsites in your neck of the woods could have one of those 'look out for these people' lists on your wall that would have the licenses plates of all those who did things like this.
Or is that against the law :o/ Either way, I think you should be able to warn people. Keep that plate number in case they show up again.

Sextant said...

Well I suppose you could look at this philosophically. They are probably enjoying their $6 heist far more than you are feeling bad for it.

You could also take the long view, it would be hell not to get into heaven over six bucks.

Or you can have a very good memory and if they ever visit again block their vehicle in and not let them out until they pay up on the six bucks, with punitive damages, a fine for speeding, and interest.

When I worked at a gas station years ago, 1967, everything full service, there were "adults" (and one guy in particular who made an art form of it) who would come in and say "give me five". This was at time when gas was about 30 cents a gallon. So the unsuspecting high school kid trying to make a little money to take his girlfriend on a date would give them 5 dollars and damn near fill their tank. Then they would hand the kid a buck and half and say "I wanted 5 gallons". So the kid making a buck an hour would work for free for the rest of night. Happened to me once. But I can assure you that every time I saw that son of bitch in the future, whether I was waiting on him or not, I would ask at near the top of my lungs is that five dollars or five gallons? I would get some very strange stares from the other customers, and I would kindly explain to them that some people were not willing to cover an "honest" mistake so we had to resolve exactly what it was that he wanted. Their reaction to the son of a bitch was worth the $3.50 that the dirty bastard cost me. It didn't bother him though, every time, "give me five", and every once in a while he would catch a new kid by himself and he would make out.

I would hate to have to explain to St Peter at the gate the joy I experienced in life from screwing innocent people out of a few bucks.

Whitney Lee said...

I would guess that $24 was all they had on them...At least they paid that much. Maybe they'll surprise you by mailing $6 at some point in the future. Or maybe I'm just an optimist.

Whitney Lee said...

By the way, I read your comment about finger sucking to my husband, and now we're both saying 'oh $hit' and hoping it goes better in our household. I'm wishing I'd pushed pacifiers!

Rae said...

They must have been using some sort of new math and were trying to skedaddle it out of there before they got caught. I don't know how you deal with it all. Sounds so frustrating.

Val said...

I have faith in Even Steven. They might have gotten a speeding ticket costing more than $6 a little ways down the road. Or some mechanical doodad will wear out/seize up/drop off at an inopportune moment.

Venom said...

I'd be among the camp (hah, pun intended) that'd be glad he paid at all being as, by that point, I probably would've thought I was about to get stiffed altogether.

Erik's RV Blog said...

I don't understand people who are so cheap. If I'm told something is $30.00 I pay $30.00. If I'm broke I don't try and get away without paying.

Some people measure success by how much they can get away with something. In the end they pay, might not be in this life and we might not be there to see it, but they get theirs sooner or later.

Cathy said...

Like your title says - pick your own price.
Maybe he couldn't wait for you to change a fifty? Maybe there'll be some notes arrive in the post? Give them the benefit of the doubt Kathy and do let us know.

Anonymous said...

It's a shame you don't have a donate button! I'd definitely donate to this excellent blog!
I suppose for now i'll settle for book-marking and adding your RSS feed to
my Google account. I look forward to new updates and will share this blog with my
Facebook group. Talk soon!