Friday, January 13, 2012

Cold Shower

The weather continues to lend itself to car problems, keeping he who plumbs too busy to work on the bathroom. In other words ......... still no toilet or sink or shower or running water in the room that should be the one to bathe in. I can't complain, we need the money. Property taxes and electric bills wait for no toilet to be installed.

Just so you know, I am not languishing in front of the TV watching soaps and eating bon bons. I put the last coat of paint on the ceiling and finished priming the walls. I kept the home fire burning (literally) and it is a toasty 73 degrees in here. Normally, I would complain that it is too hot .....

After preparing a delicious dinner of roasted chicken, mixed vegetables and various leftovers from Chinese meals past. I decided that I would venture out to the shower and luxuriate in nice hot water pounding on my back (I can boast good water pressure here in the kampground). I had already washed my hair this morning and just wanted to feel the hot water on my person.

I gathered my toiletries and a sweat suit, along with a couple of rugs to keep my tootsies warm. I fought the door open against the frigid wind and hurried along to the bathroom door. It is only about 20 feet, not too bad. I turned the electric heater on and locked myself in. I carefully place my sweat suit on hooks and got all my necessary items into the shower after adorning the floor with my thick cotton rugs. Then I shucked my clothes and shoes. It was like stepping on ice! I turned the water on and it hit me full in the face. Ice water. I adjusted the nozzle and finally got some nice hot water coming out and stepped into the spray.

I am standing there, starting to relax, when it dawns on me. I forgot the towel. It is 25 degrees out there, who knows what the gusting wind is making that feel like and I have no way to dry off. Did I take a phone with me? No. I tried tapping on the inner wall. The bathrooms share a wall with my pump room and there is no insulation. I know that if anyone is in the kitchen they can hear me. I have overheard some interesting conversations myself while cooking. I am in hopes that I will alert the dogs and they will bark and he who is playing with the wood stove will follow them into the pump room and I can ask him to bring a towel.

It was a good plan. Just didn't work. My silly dogs will bark at a leaf blowing in the wind when I am here alone. But, Daddy is home and all is well with their world. My world, on the other hand .......

I can't stay there under the water forever, so I turn it off and try to shake like a dog. I do not recommend this. I dried my feet with the clothes I wore into the bathroom and put my socks and shoes on. Then I pulled the sweatsuit on my wet body. I hurried into the house that is a cozy 73 degrees, stripped off the now damp sweatsuit, dried and put my pajamas on. Tomorrow will be better ...... won't it?

12 comments:

Teri said...

At least you can't complain that you have a boring life.

Teri said...

At least you can't complain that you have a boring life.

SkippyMom said...

You're not catching much of a break Kathy. I'm sorry.

Fingers crossed for you for tomorrow. :) Stay warm [or try to]

Jo-Anne's Ramblings said...

Could have been worse you could had forgotten to take new clothes then you would have had to make a dash in buff.......lol

Teresa said...

oh my... i feel for you. i hate being cold after a shower. 73 is a nice toasty room to come back into.

Brian Miller said...

ugh...sorry, sounds like something that might happen to me...have done it actually...and dried with my old clothes before too...tomorrow will be better...

Linda O'Connell said...

I know what you experienced. My hubby rigged a temp shower in the basement when he redid our bathroom. I made three trips up and down the steps into that cold cavern. Forgot the towel, the flip flops, the shampoo. Then I finally felt relief at the feel of warm water. I lathered head to toe, the hose blew and blinded me, I backed up and shrink wrapped my naked self in a Dollar store palstic shower curtian, yelled for him and all he could do was laugh.

Rae said...

I am always hot and rarely wear long sleeves or coats in the winter, but the thought of hitting the outside air being wet makes me shiver.

Sextant said...

Great story! No...no it is a "cool" story. Hope you get your bathroom done soon.

I got stuck up on the roof once before the days of cell phones. I wanted to work on the section of the gutter where the ladder was, and I started to move the ladder from the roof and it fell over. I completed my task and now want off the roof. It is summertime, the windows are open, but my wife can't hear me. I am jumping on the roof to no avail. Finally I started beating on the roof "Shave and a haircut, two bits" over and over. My wife finally comes out all indignant. "What the hell are you doing?" "Trying to get you to get me off this damn roof."

ellen abbott said...

I bet you won't forget your towel again.

Pat said...

At least you had hot water. I thought for sure you were going to say there was no hot water!

This reminds me of that song, "Did you ever have one of those days? When nothing goes right from morning to night, did you ever have one of those days?" Ha ha!

Hope you are having a good weekend!

Mike said...

It sounds like she who cooks might need to tell he who plumbs to maybe call someone else who also plumbs! LOL!