Tuesday, February 20, 2018

Ceiling Saga Continues

Another wet and dreary day. I talked myself into painting the woodwork on the only window in this room. I taped all the panes and was just finishing the task when HeWho hauls people form place to place appeared. He looked a little disappointed that I was working on the never ending project here in this very small room. I could tell he would have been happier watching anything on TV and just sitting.

So, I told you all about the ceiling project and how hard it was for HeWho to get the holes in the material to fit where they are needed. A friend who has experience told him NOT to cut the hole before hand because no matter how accurate the measurements were, it would not work out. The walls are not straight, nothing is level or plumb.

While we managed to get the vent cover in, I still had a lot of caulking to cover the mistakes. I can't say that I am happy with it, more resigned and the bad part is on the side facing the wall. You would have to really look for it to see the imperfection. But, the ceiling fan needs to go back up. He had a very small hole that he swore had the wire box in line. He could see the wires, he said.

I had long finished my part, caulking and wood putty and scraping, sanding and painting. So, I said to HeWho fancies himself to be a builder of stuff, "I will finish dinner and you can either hang the ceiling fan or finish the caulking I can't reach." Although I knew he would choose the fan, I still let him know of the secret place I stashed the tubes of caulking. On the shelf, in a closet that holds supplies.

He got the caulk tube out and located the caulk gun (with my help) and proceeded to lay those items on the table, then grab a knife and cut a larger hole in the ceiling to wire up the fan. But, alas, the hole he swore had wires "right there", didn't. He pondered it and by that time the food was ready to eat. Take note that he accomplished absolutely nothing while I finished our dinner and folded the laundry from earlier in the day. 

We sat, we ate and we watched the news. Darkness had fallen as the sun went down and the hole in the ceiling stared down at me. Toni Louise must have followed my gaze because she discovered the hole and sat barking at it as she looked up. Even the dog finds it distressing that HeWho was not on task.

Two days later he attacked the problem of installing the fan with renewed confidence. I was, once again, busy at the stove with dinner. I heard the drill and then I heard some sawing and cursing. He drilled 19 holes (yes, I counted them. I like accuracy in reporting) and cut out a chunk of my freshly painted ceiling. The rectangular chunk is about 3" X 4". Smack dab in the center of the room. 

So, I am thinking about the use of a ceiling medallion to cover the mess, because the idea of patching and sanding and repainting was repulsive to me. Just one problem ........... He did not locate the electrical box!!! It has been about 3 days now and I am looking forward to what he will do next. It should prove to be entertaining at the very least.

In the mean time, I have painted and prepped all I can. As I knew it would, the rest of the ceilings look bad now and he wants to do the same treatment in the kitchen and the little nook that houses the fridge. I have gone through 3 tubes of caulk in that tiny area and now he wants to take down the existing trim to replace it!

Today he pulled off one of the trim pieces that was screwed and glued to a fair-thee-well. Then he left to take a cab rider to the closest place to rent a vehicle. I took a good look around and promptly settles into my chair with my computer ..... after I finished singing "Mockingbird" with James Taylor and Carly Simon. I sang both parts, they would have been impressed.

3 comments:

Val said...

Heh, heh. Even the dog most partial to HeWho saw the error of his ways! This is the never-ending project.

Jo-Anne's Ramblings said...

I have never painted anything in my life just thought I would share that

Linda O'Connell said...

I can't stop laughing at your perils. And I do apologize. I'd have to poke him if he poked another hole.