Monday, March 9, 2015

You Smell Wonderful


There I sat on the exam table in my new doctor's office last week, as he leaned in to with to look inside my ear. "You smell wonderful!" he said.

Okay. How should I respond? I mean, I did shower and wash my hair before leaving the house that morning. Nothing special, just soap, shampoo and water. No perfumes or colognes did I wear, no walking through a fine mist of scented air. I was happy to know that I smelled good.

Then he said, "Where do you work? Do you work in a smoke house with meats?" Apparently I smell like bacon.

We heat our home with a wood stove. We use the fallen trees and cut down dead trees, saw them up and split them. When I say "we" I mean He Who loves a brand new chain on his saw. Most of our trees are hickory. The smell invades every nook and cranny and lingers in our clothes. I no longer smell it, but my children assure me that it is there.

I don't know how I feel about my compliment. Maybe I am every man's dream ........ I smell like bacon. 

6 comments:

Joanne Noragon said...

Oh, Kathy! We heat our studio with a wood stove. Years ago we had a day when the room filled with wood smoke several times, impregnating the stock I was about to take to a show. I packed up wondering how to air it out before the show, but, of course, it takes a lot of air and sunshine to remove smoke. Imagine my surprise when a woman buried her face in a jacket, inhaled deeply and announced she loved the smell of a wood fire. As I recall, the show wound up OK. I guess there's nothing fundamentally wrong with he smell of wood smoke.

Anonymous said...

That is so funny. You never know what will appeal to a person. I don't think I'd want to smell like a piece of bacon, though.

Val said...

Fished in! Excellent! I didn't see that one coming.

I think you also fit the bill for every man's dream as related by a guy in the gas station chicken store a couple summers ago. Let the record show that his preference was unsolicited.

I had ordered two breasts and two legs. And he hollered, "Every man's dream!" Apparently, men don't set their sights too high.

Linda O'Connell said...

You turned that doctor on with wood smoke. This is hilarious. You should send it to Reader's Digest. Seriously.

The Happy Whisk said...

I was clicking about and landed here. You are a funny writer.

Good stuff.

luksky said...

I don't want to even IMAGINE what it would be like to blog on my Iphone. I can barely see the letters just to send a simple text.