Monday, September 17, 2012


Toni Louise continues to heal. Her bandage is still intact. I have caught her chewing at it a couple of times, but she pretty much leaves it alone.

I put a nice soft pillow in the kennel and prepared for the homecoming. I thought she would be more comfortable and it would be easier to restrict her activity. Wall-E was her first visitor. His ears are back and down. This means he is still very worried about his playmate. Wall-E is sensitive and worries a lot.

Old guy, Oscar, had to get very close to "see". His cataracts make him rely more on his nose lately, but he was assured that she was back home and all was right with the world.

The kennel did not last long. Toni Louise prefered to be with her best friends and lay on an old blanket on the floor. I was afraid she would try to jump up on the couch, but she didn't even try. She did try to jump into our bed the first night and fell, but I caught her. I think it scared me more than her.

She has to take an antibiotic twice daily and some liquid meds for pain once at bedtime. Greenies makes these fabulous beef flavored pill pockets. They smell like beef jerky and she loves them. I would have used bread and peanut butter, but these are less messy and she thinks it is a treat.

The first night she slept like a baby. Oscar woke me at 3:24. I took him out and he wandered aimlessly through the yard. This went on for about 10 minutes before I insisted that he come back in. I was so annoyed, I could not go back to sleep and watched the sun rise. Last night he slept fine. Toni Louise woke me. I have no idea what time it was, it was still dark, though. All three dogs went out and this time Toni was the one wandering around the yard. She followed the other two in and walked straight into the wall, bumping her head against it and just standing there. I was watching her, figuring she was goofy from her pain meds ...... then she peed in the floor! It smelled like her antibiotics and before I could mop it up, Wall-E pranced through the puddle and hopped into my bed .......... on my clean sheets.

So, today was another big laundry day and I could not go back to sleep again!

Tomorrow, Toni Louise will get her bandages changed, and then again in a week. Mr. Martha will be going along on the last visit. He will be losing his ability to procreate, and I will have another furry patient to tend. Reunions will start all over again.


Mamma has spoken said...

Glad to read that she is doing better!

Lorenza said...

I am happy to know she is doing well. Sure you never have a boring day!
Take care
Kisses and hugs

Val said...

Gosh. This could be a soap opera. No crazier than General Hospital.

I'm glad that Toni Louise is feeling no pain. And that she has such empathetic friends. Mr. Martha may just settle down a bit after his special operation.

Brian Miller said...

glad that she is doing they were all glad to see her...and yikes...if only mr martha knew what was coming....

Linda O'Connell said...

This would make a good short story. A piddle's bad, a puddle's worse...and then on your sheets? You are some nurse and good momma to those fur babies.

SkippyMom said...

Bless her heart. I am so glad she is healing well.

I guess this will teach He who forgets to remember next time. We hope.

I love the deal you got on the rotisserie - and your food sounds delicious. We don't have one, but I bet you could find a bunch of good recipes on line. If I hear of any I'll let you know.

Now I want a roast chicken with an apple up it's butt. giggle Do try it with lemons and oranges - I know those taste great in them too. Enjoy.