Monday, June 20, 2011

Painfully Slow Internet

Patience is a virtue ..... or so I have heard. This weekend is teaching me to be extremely patient. We had a small tornado pass through early Saturday morning. I slept through the entire incident. It was one of those freaky selective eddies of wind that will make you appreciate the power of Mother Nature. Since then, the internet connection has been sporadic and s l o w. Painfully slow.

I can't download pictures to show you. Well, maybe I could, if I made many attempts and patiently logged back on every time I lose connection while attempting to do so. But I will try to describe things adequately. We have a kamper, who stores his canoe on his site. Never has the wind ever bothered this canoe. But, this wind that visited early Saturday morning picked this canoe up, flipped it over and took it across the road, through a dog pen and into the side of a fellow camper's fifth wheel. The canoe missed a huge tree and surprisingly, missed the window of the unit it hit. It wasn't nearly as bad as it could been, but it did puncture the outer layer of the unit. I sent a cryptic e-mail to the owner of the canoe. You know, the good news/bad news message. Told him that the good news was that his RV sustained no damage, but that his canoe was in his neighbors living room. I did exaggerate a bit, but this particular kamper lends himself to a certain amount of word play.

This was the only major damage we had here, I learned later that two semi-trailers were flipped over on the interstate close by. I suppose this same wind messed with the tower with the Sprint satellite receiver and resulted in my internet agonies. So, even though I have pictures, It would take hours to download them ........... I tried.

The baby birds were just too new to survive and they were both dead by Sunday. I won't miss breaking apart worms and squishing them up to feed them to the little open beaks. I was going to call the feisty one Amelia. In just two days, it was amazing that their pink skin was already covered in the gray fuzz that would turn into feathers. I imagine some mother bird out there lamenting at how fast they grow up and leave the nest. One mother bird is out there telling about the wicked human who tossed her nest and babies.

It is hot and humid here at the kampground and I am manning the desk that separates people from the pool. I expect to be busy all day, then mow as soon as the sun subsides. In the meantime I will see how long it takes to actually post this .........

11 comments:

Brian Miller said...

ugh...sorry on the net, that would drive me crazy...and glad you are okay from the tornado...that is scary stuff...

Teresa said...

i can sympathize with you on the internet slowdown. that is so frustrating! glad the tornado didn't do major damage. that is very scary, indeed.

too bad about the birds. kudos to you for trying.

houndstooth said...

Slow internet drives me insane! I hope it gets fixed soon and you're back to life as normal. I'm glad the tornado didn't do any serious damage for you!

ellen abbott said...

I would just give it up if I had to depend on dial-up (or some other ultra slow reason). withdrawal would be a bitch though.

Pat said...

At least the wind damage wasn't too bad. Sorry to hear about the baby birds; they had a rough start. I can relate with slow service...it seems everywhere we go we have slow wi-fi!

SkippyMom said...

Glad to hear the damage wasn't bad and no one got hurt.

Sorry about the baby birds - at least you tried. :(

Your internet should be up in no time, have faith. We appreciate you hanging in there to bring us an update.

mamahasspoken said...

We've had those winds here too! They are scary and make you head to the basement, dogs in tow.
Sorry the birds didn't live longer, but hopefully you learned something for the next time because you know,
there will always be a next time.

Lorenza said...

Slow internet is not funny, right?
Poor birdies! I know you did what you could for them.
Take care
Kisses and hugs
Lorenza

hapi said...

Hi Kathy's Klothesline, Nice blog you got here! try visit my new post: Blog SEO Tutorial: How to Choose the Best Title For Post. I hope you will learn something from it. Have a great day!

Just Stuff From a Boomer said...

Remember dial up internet. We thought it was magic. Now I'm like everyone else. I want instant service and I get frustrated when it doesn't work.

The birds were very tiny. You tried. Icky wormy dinners. You are a braver woman than me.

Nancy said...

Just catching up and want to start by saying how sweet you are to try to save those baby birds. Kudos from heaven on that one! As for the tornado, I'm glad it was small enough to let you sleep through it - although having once lived in tornado country - sleeping when they drop by is not always the best way to keep an eye on the little buggers. Do you have one of those weather radios that sends out a warning?