Thursday, May 19, 2011

Winning The Lottery Of Humiliation

With every site spoken for, I am ready for the Memorial Day weekend. The pool is full of icy cold water, perfectly PH balanced. The bath house has been scoured and is ready to deliver showers and "rest" to kampers (thanks, Patrick!). The stacks of firewood have been started. The list is ready for the monumental trip to Sam's to finish stocking the store. My internal clock is already waking me early.

Yesterday was a planting marathon for me. I shoveled new dirt and hoed old dirt and pulled a thousand weeds in my raised beds. Every muscle in my body ached last night ......... but the corn and beans and squash are in the ground. I am sporting a farmer's tan ..... proudly. It is raining now on my little patch of sustenance.

As it rains, I take a break from physical labor. Listening to the news on the Today show, I am appalled at the coverage of Arnold's indiscretion. First, the announcement of the Terminator terminating his marriage went on and on. Then came the real reason. Another woman and a child. The "concern" for his children and the "advice" is put forth. Enough already. But, reporters are relentless in hunting down this "other woman" and now her face has been plastered all over the screen. They blocked out the child's face, as if this will protect him from the scandal. Now they are all wondering what rights this child has as far as Arnold's estate goes. Did I miss something? Is he dead now?

I say let Maria handle this and leave it alone. It is not "news" and if everyone was truly concerned for his children, they would not be flashing their pictures on the screen. What he did was certainly wrong, just like so many other politicians have. I am just sick of hearing about it over and over.

I would rather see an in depth story about the man who won 2 million dollars in a lottery and still receives food stamps. I saw a little blurb about this on line. I think the media should hound him and ask some probing questions of the state officials. Seems that he is breaking no laws. He reported the winnings that is sitting in his bank account. He is allowed liquid assets and can still be eligible for assistance. Perhaps a spotlight on this story could raise a public outcry and bring to light all those who abuse the system. The gentleman was quoted as saying that you could try to make him "feel bad", but, "it won't work". Maybe his face on the TV screen would arouse some feelings of decency.

Used to be that food stamps came in a booklet of monopoly type money with perforated edges. The user had to determine the right denomination to use and then haggle with the cashier over the "change". If they had items that were not allowed, that would be another transaction that would sometimes end up with the merchandise being deleted from the order to be returned. All this while the people behind them in line watched with disgust, wondering why they didn't go get a job. Nowadays the recipient is issued a card, much like a debit card. The card will automatically determine the amount owed and the new computerized registers will determine the eligibility of the items put forth. The cashier is the only one who would know. This is good, there are people deserving of this assistance. But .......... the lottery winner, well, he could do with good dose of humiliation

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I completely agree.

Hoping your sore muscles are better today and how great that you had rain on your veg. plants.

SkippyMom said...

Boy you are way ahead of the game Kathy. That is awesome. I could not believe how late in the month Memorial Day is this year.

And I CANNOT wait to see all your beautiful flowerbeds. Besides just loving your blog [and you!], I so look forward to your pictures of all your hard work every year. It is truly one of the best parts of spring. :D

Hope the muscles feel better soon.

SJT said...

Whoa. Those stories are just frustrating. But glad to hear you're ready for the onslaught of people! Hope to see you soon!!!!

Just Stuff From a Boomer said...

I had not heard about the lottery winner getting food stamps. Now I'm really steaming.

I feel for Maria and the children. All the children. He has always been very arrogrant. I agree, story over. Move on. It's not my business.

Brian Miller said...

my boss was just telling me about this...this is crazy and an abuse of the system...there are people that need it but...

hope you are feeling a bit better today!

mamahasspoken said...

The only person who is loving the 'whose so sleezy I had two kids a week apart because I can't keep it in my pants story' is the botox momma.
I read the food stamp articule yesterday and have to say, something doesn't sound right and I bet when it comes down to it, it will be the lottery winner who is lying.
I agree that they need to do something different with the food stamps. However I remember when they were the paper bills, people would come in and buy something that would give them back the most coin change (you couldn't give them back dollars unless they were food stamp dollars). They would do this over and over until they had enough money for cigerattes. Made me mad that I was working hard for my money and they were doing nothing and playing the systems. I still have no sympathy for those who still do this.

Teresa said...

can't wait to see pictures of your flowers this year! i really enjoyed last year's pictures!

shame on the media for their coverage of this.

Pat said...

I agree with the story about Arnold S. Enough is enough. He is a womanizer from way back. It was news when the story first broke, but drop it already.

And why in God's name is this lottery winner still on food stamps? That is just wrong!

labbie1 said...

I want to know--did the lottery winner use his public assitance money to buy the lottery tickets? If so, should it not be the property of the state or go to help pay back some of the public assistance that he has been given? Just sayin...