Thursday, March 17, 2011

Sorting Socks

Spring cleaning. Time to get everything all ready for warm weather. I don't pick a place to start, but if it is nice outside I will work in my gardens. Today I am doing laundry and listening to the drone of morning show talk on TV. Putting away the laundry and I decide to empty his sock drawer. He who loves to wear over the calf socks has more than a few rejects here. I am fascinated by the locations of the worn areas ............ I buy good socks. Gold toe for him. Otherwise they only last about three months. I used to wonder why. The toes and the heels are reinforced on all socks. I never learned to darn socks, I just throw them in my rag bag and use them for dusting or staining or various cleaning jobs.



But, the worn areas on his socks are below the heel. Why would they have holes there you might ask. I watched him closely one day as he put his socks on and was reminded of a determined toddler putting his socks on. He does not roll them up in his hand to facilitate putting the foot in. No, he puts his toes into the very top of the sock and pulls ... and pulls, shoving his foot into the sock. His heel is then positioned way below the actual heel of the sock. I tried to tell the man that his socks would actually wear and feel better if he didn't try to pull them all the way to his groin. He doesn't listen and I have quit talking. I just know that every six months my rag bag grows.



My clinic visit went well yesterday. I, of course, felt fine while I was there. I displayed none of the symptoms that have been keeping me down. My blood pressure, lungs and heart all were okay. Stomach pains were absent. No bloated belly. EKG was normal. I took my blood pressure a few days ago while I was feeling really bad, light headed as I watched my pulse bouncing in my eyes and heard the actually rush of blood through my veins. It was 180/100. Not good, but I was so happy to have something to convey to the doctor. My heart skips beats, a lot, especially in the late afternoon hours. She listened and did not discount any of my symptoms. I am now taking a beta blocker for the blood pressure and palpitations and a stronger medication for acid reflux. She agreed with me, that I would no doubt feel much better when I dropped my hibernation weight I acquired this winter. She did warn that I might experience a mild headache and fatigue until my body adjusted to the medication. Said medication might also have a weight loss effect. I chose that as my desired side effect. Instead I have a headache. Go figure. But, after only two doses I feel much better. And now that I have sorted socks, I am going to do a little scrubbing ......

11 comments:

Brian Miller said...

glad you are feeling better...you should know though us guys dont listen...lol

Kathy G said...

Scrubbing with the discarded socks?!?

joanne said...

ah, the ever so popular beta-blockers, I don't know how I would cope with my skippy heart without them. you should be feeling better soon...take care.

Rae said...

My hubby does that sock thing too. The heels are always around his ankles. I don't get it, but whatever.
I hope you feel better with this new med. I'm sure you are anxious to get out there and start working since things are warming up.

Pat said...

I guess you don't want to make sock monkeys out of worn socks!

Glad you are feeling a bit better and hope you get your blood pressure under control.

labbie1 said...

I think it is a guy thing as my hubby is the same way! Go figure!

1-800-DOCTOR worked! [totally smirking here!] And totally glad you feel more like yourself again! It was truly painful watching your pain!

Whitney Lee said...

I'm glad you're feeling better. Having the symptoms disappear on the day of the appointment is kind of a given. It's good that you had an actual number to give them for your blood pressure. I hope the headaches don't last long.

We get to turn our old socks into toys for the dog. For the rest I use them to dust. It's so much easier than a dust cloth!

houndstooth said...

There's a man for you! The real kicker is that in a few weeks he'll suddenly announce that he had a great idea to put his socks on a different way to make them last longer.

I'm glad you're feeling better!

Jaime said...

glad to hear you're feeling better!

if you get really motivated with the whole spring cleaning thing, you're welcome to tackle my house as well ;)

Marla said...

I had to laugh about the socks. Like our precious men will ever listen. I love mine to pieces but listen to me? Please!

Glad you are feeling better.

Lorenza said...

I hope you feel better soon!
Adjusting to meds is not always easy, right?
Take care
Kisses and hugs
Lorenza