Thursday, March 3, 2011

DO NOT ENTER- KEEP OUT!!!!!!!!!

We are having a definite warm spell here at the kampground. I suppose everyone is thinking about being outside after the confinement of winter and camping comes to mind. It is all good. I will have to change the store hours and drag myself out of hibernation. Happens every year.



But, there is still a chill in the air in the morning as I linger over coffee. I am not quite ready to jump into losing my privacy. I have been down with a stomach bug for what seems like forever and I was celebrating a good night's sleep and a pain free morning today as I sat on the sofa in my sleeping attire surrounded by my furry kids. He who loves to meander through the park in his truck was out doing just that. So ....... when I heard the knob turn on my door I assumed it was my husband. My back was facing the door and my dogs leaped to the floor barking their warning to the intruder. I turned to see a woman entering my home and kicking at my dogs. She actually told them to get out of her way!!! I rise from my perch and I will confess that I was not very polite when I told her to get out of my home. I spilled my coffee on my big T-shirt, so there I stood with bed-head in a wet T-shirt and nothing else in what I thought was the privacy of my home telling the woman to go back outside. She continued to kick out at my dogs and tell me that she wanted camping information.


I had to tell her a third time that she was in my home and that she was risking an attack from my dogs (that I would not have stopped and was about to attack her myself for kicking at them) before she turned and left. Then she went to the store door and knocked on it the entire time I was pulling my robe on. I do have the store hours posted on the door .......... and I am not open yet. I let her in and gave her the information that is also available on the outside. I am wet with coffee and it is soaking into the robe and she won't leave!!! She wants to tell me that she just wanted information and that she had no idea that we weren't open. I swallowed the urge to ask her if she knew how to read and just told her that the store hours were posted on the front of the store door. Finally he who rides in his pick-up truck came in and rescued me.

This is the front of the building ................... which door would you approach?

Getting closer, you can see he who wades in muck has left his boots outside by my rocker.

Hmmmm, this door has a sign that says "office" and has all manner of information on it.


And ........ this door says "PRIVATE" and also warns about a dog. Which one shall I barge into?




It doesn't help that he who operates loud equipment accidentally (because he doesn't listen to his wife) pulled the gate that was covering the private entrance with the tractor bucket when he brought firewood up. The gate did help. It looked like a continuation of the railing and you had to open it to gain entrance to our door. I say it helped because I still have had people open it and try to enter our home instead of the office.
So, I ask, what do I have to do to maintain a small level of privacy? Locking the door, you might say. I do keep it locked when I am alone and in the store. He who also lives here is not one to lock a door behind himself as he leaves. I have had people come into the store and tell me that the 'other' door is locked. Still, I search for an answer to my dilemma.




14 comments:

Brian Miller said...

never a dull moment eh? cant wait for it to get a bit warmer to get out there myself...already been hitting the trails...

yeah i would not want people barging into my house...

Teresa said...

oh my - i'm surprised the dogs didn't have her for breakfast. I'm at a loss as to what to put. You'd think "eye-level" signage would be appropriate, but often it is not. How about GREAT BIG letters that say PRIVATE - KEEP OUT going down the front?

Rae said...

You handled it better than I would. I would have been more than furious and she would have gotten a good cussing. Such stupid people. Even with a flashing neon lighted arrow her kind would still pick the wrong door.

Kelly L said...

Oh my -you handled much better than I would...

Love to you
Kelly
I've Become My Mother
Kelly's Ideas
Amazing Salvation

mamahasspoken said...

I think you need one of those private property signs that have something about tresspassers will be eaten/shot/beaten/or some other means of threat. However from the sounds of it, I don't think she would have gotten the message even then.

SkippyMom said...

Pooldad and I read this and decided [as have others] that a BIG "DO NOT ENTER" sign should be put up too.

And get the gate back up, plus he who does not lock the door needs to become he who does the lock the door when he leaves.

And I could believe she was kicking at the dogs - wow! I wish they would've bit her. [But she probably would have sued]

ellen abbott said...

PAS...people are stupid. That's my brother's guiding principal.

I think you should put up a sign that says 'Danger - Electrified Door' with a skull and cross bones.

Kathy G said...

Amazing.

Can you paint one of the doors, or somehow make them look different?

houndstooth said...

Perhaps you need a big sign that says "This is NOT the camping office! Open the door and prepare to be shot!"

I'm sorry you had a rude awakening to your morning!

labbie1 said...

Gosh! I thought I was the only one that just opened your house door and walked in--though I NEVER kick the dogs!!!!

Should have jumped off the couch in only your little t-shirt. The image just makes me laugh!!!!

Next time, call me and Tank the 160 lb black dog and I will come and help her figure out which door is the wrong one! ;-D

PS I LOVE the electrified door idea!!!! LOL

Whitney Lee said...

Miserable. I would add getting the gate back up to your to do list. People at least won't be able to barge in. I agree with everyone; she wouldn't have gotten the message no matter what you did.

Lady Jane said...

I would put a gate between those posts and and arrow pointing to the office with office written on the arrow. A smaller sign saying "those too stupid to follow the sign will be fed to the dogs"...

Lady Jane said...

I'm back. Thanks for the comment and visit to my blog. You know when I concentrate I like to do it on the subject at hand, but it just might work. I will try it and let you know how it goes. Thanks for the suggestion. L J

Marla said...

I don't know how you do it. I am afraid I would be quite the grumpy monkey at times.