Thursday, March 31, 2011

Ramblings of Procrastination


I have been truly uninspired lately. Winter blahs, I suppose. Actually supposed to be Spring, according to the calendar, but you can't go by that so much. I have a few brave little daffodils that bobbed gently in the wind and snow last weekend. The extended forecast that we all watched earlier in the week promised a warmer weekend, but I hear now that it was a fantasy. My joints are telling me otherwise.



I have been spending far too much time in front of the TV. I was encouraged to go for a walk today by a friend and it sounds like a great idea .......... but the skies are gloomy and threatening rain (or sleet, maybe snow?) and the ground is woefully soggy and sloppy. Added to that is my bum knee and my jaw aching and I am less than enthusiastic about a walk. Instead I am doing laundry and grumbling to myself. I think I will hang out in my sewing room today as I am finishing a bunch of projects for upcoming birthdays and a wedding.



One of my baby girl's best friends is getting married and asked me to take the wraps from the bridesmaid dresses and fashion some little clutch type purses for the maids. I found the metal frames on-line and she approved them and I have all the supplies at the ready ......... I watched a tutorial on-line and it looked easy enough. They suggested a particular glue that is not available here in the US. I looked it up and was more than willing to purchase it, as it was under $10. I was not willing to pay the $35 shipping, though. Now I wish I had just done it. I have tried some other glues and so far I have been unsuccessful in getting the fabric to stick into the channel. In utter frustration I even asked he who does not sew for advice. He suggested spline, like you would use to replace screening with. That made sense, but the channel does not narrow at any point and it would still need something to grab it and hold it in place ............. and no, I will not be crimping it with a pair of pliers. I purchased some glue at the hardware store yesterday and will be trying again today. This is my gift to the bride. Well, this and dog sitting while she digs her toes in the sand on a beach in Mexico while saying 'I do'. She is my favorite friend of my daughter.



Yesterday found me on an adventure with my kampground buddy, Yvonne. We took a ride to Columbia and surprised Miss Martha at her work place. We enjoyed a nice lunch at the corner diner and I ordered some T-shirts for the kampground. We went on to shop at the Dollar Tree!! We found treasures galore, let me tell you. We even stopped at Artichoke Annie's Antique Mall. It was interesting. We didn't buy anything .............. you are not allowed to bring your purse in! They do offer free lockers in which to place your purse. To quote he who says absurdities "They sure were proud of all that stuff, cause it was not priced to sell!" We were a little punchy from laughing at the prices and the condition of some of these 'treasures' as we were leaving. We spied a church pew and I sat on it to gauge the comfort (none) and as Yvonne was about to join me she jumped back and yelped at me to get up because it was coming apart! We were laughing like school girls as we imagined the two of us on the floor beneath the broken bench, unable to pay for it because we were forced to leave our purses in the car .......... We had a nice glass of wine when we got home and laughed some more. Could be why my jaw is aching today.




It occurs to me that I have have rambled long enough and that I am simply procrastinating. Off to the sewing room I shall go ......




7 comments:

Teresa said...

sounds like a fun time that you and yvonne had!

sorry about your jaw hurting. that is miserable.

Kathy G said...

Thanks for the review of Artichoke Annie's. I've seen the signs every time I make a trip to Columbia.

Brian Miller said...

smiles. in the end it sounds like you had a bit of fun...its grey and cold here today and i kinda have the blahs as well..

joanne said...

We all need a Yvonne in our lives right? sounds like a fun time and now...get thee to thy sewing station!

Whitney Lee said...

It's been gray and rainy here the last few days; it'll give anyone the blahs. Add in not feeling well and it's no wonder you're feeling unmotivated. At least you got out and spent some time giggling yesterday! I'll hope you are feeling better shortly...

ellen abbott said...

oh I know the feeling. it always passes though.

SkippyMom said...

I am laughing about Antique Aunties - we have places like that here too. At least they are entertaining.

How sweet and wonderful of you to make the clutches. You're so talented. I hope you share pics.

And don't you worry - you're going to be up to your boots in Spring flowers and your lovely gardens here shortly.

[PS You April 1st story scared the beehoohoo out of me. I am so glad that he who is married to you was fine after that. Hugs!]