Sunday, March 20, 2011

Parenting ......... Or Not

Yesterday was a lovely day. The predicted rain held off until dusk. The seasonal camper buddies were whizzing around on golf carts and cleaning the sites while I was re-merchandising my camp store and making endless lists. I met a new family and rented them a seasonal site. He who tinkers away at this and that was out and about doing what he does.


At around 5 o'clock I began to tire. It was a pleasant feeling, as I had accomplished a lot. My dogs were also tired of my absence, so I decided to have a little sit down with my furry friends and have a little stroll through the land of blog. We had no sooner settled into our usual configuration on the sofa with all three making contact with my leg and settling in when I saw motion out of the corner of my eye. They noticed it at the same time and all three bounded over me to the window barking loudly to let me know that someone was invading our private space. They don't care if you come into the store or linger on that side of the building, but the porch on the private residence side of the building is off limits unless they recognize the person and that person is with their person. Since their person is right their beside them ..........


A little girl was running after the kamp cat. I went into the store and the father came in. He is a truck driver who has seen my signage from the interstate on many occasion. I know this because he told me this over and over. I gave the man a brochure and explained the pricing and answered his questions in between scolding my dogs. I even apologized and explained that my dogs were upset because his children were on the porch that was a part of my living quarters. He was oblivious to the four little girls running amok. He just continued to tell me that he was a truck driver and ask the same questions I had already answered. Finally he left to take a ride through the park. But, he came right back in with the four little girls from age 6 to 2 to introduce me to them. Why? Don't know, as I fervently hope they decide to camp elsewhere. He didn't appear to be one who was into parental supervision. When he left this time I locked the door.


My dogs are still barking with gusto as I return to my perch and look out the window to see the little girls running on my porch. I see that he who protects me is there saying something to the children and they return to their family van. He who watches the van drive away comes in to tell me the rest of the story. The mother of the foursome was in the van all the while her children were out and about and her husband was regaling me with tales of driving his big rig along the interstate reading signs and billboards. Seems the little ones had captured our cat and actually stowed her away in the van. When they opened the door to get in, the cat escaped and they were trying to catch her again! All the while the parental unit is watching and does not appear to care that her children are attempting to steal my cat! Really, really think they would be happier at the state park, don't you?

15 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh my...makes you think they have been evicted from all the state parks and national parks...tell them you're full.

Brian Miller said...

gotta love it...i probably will end up counseling these kids...

RVVagabond said...

Wow, you were being incredibly laid back about the whole cat/kids/trucker thing. Occasionally I think it might be a good thing to open a campground in our home area in Ohio as we are in need of one closer to town but then I read your blog.....

Rae said...

I agree. Sounds like they need a map and directions to go somewhere else.

ellen abbott said...

without a doubt. what is wrong with that mother? they all of a sudden decided that they needed a cat? perhaps she was asleep and didn't realize the cat was in the truck. I'm sure as soon as she noticed it, the truck would have pulled over and the cat dumped on the side of the road.

SkippyMom said...

Repeat after me "Sorry ALL our sites are rented. FOREVER."

Pooldad and I are just shaking our heads in disbelief. Wow.

I laughed at RV Vagabonds comment, as we have often said the same thing...and then always reconsider after reading your blog. How you do it amazes me.

Hugs my friend and keep the kitty safe.

squawmama said...

Not even a state park... how about an old run down campground.... where the rifraf go...Sorry but that mom was useless!
Have fun but lock the doors!
HUGS
Donna

houndstooth said...

I'd simply decline their business. It sounds like a lot more work than it's worth!

mamahasspoken said...

This is when you need a list of campground rules that will make them not want to stay...

labbie1 said...

hehe--Squawmama--I am with you and I think I know Just the Right One for them!!!! [snicker snicker]

Perhaps they were looking for dinner? Thank goodness dinner ran away and HeWho saved her!!!!

Teresa said...

wow - people continue to amaze me and not in a good way.

you were very nice.

Sandi McBride said...

I certainly hope that he who has a photographic memory will remember this crew and show them the gate should they ever darken your door!~ I cannot abide a mother or father who let their children run rough shod over not only them but strangers...I fear for these children's future's...or lack there of...now I've scared myself! Glad you locked the door
hugs
Sandi

@ly said...

Who lets their kids do stuff like that? I know if it were my kids I'd be hollaring at them!!

Whitney Lee said...

I think other peoples kids don't like me. I have an inability to keep my mouth shut when they are in my house or on my property. It seems like a lot of these kids are used to doing whatever they want and getting away with it; that doesn't fly on my property. Of course, I don't have to worry too much about pissing people off since I don't make a living having people here. I don't think I have the patience or tact to do what you do.

Meggie said...

They do say it takes all sorts. Some sorts we could well do without! Hope your cat has recovered from near cat-napping- er..I guess you know what I meant!