Friday, January 21, 2022

Moving Truck

 When last we spoke ..... things were somewhat stressful, but my last minute reprieve had me grateful for one more night in my bed before they took it away. I was sipping a second cup of coffee after my shower and putting on leggings, topped with pants and a long sleeve shirt topped with a sweat shirt. I was gearing up to go into the cold, cold store/office to pack a few more boxes. Then I planned to bake a cake while cleaning out the fridge. Cleaning out the fridge would reveal tonight's supper. Tomorrow I was hoping to wash the bed sheets and covers so I could arrive at my new home with as little dirty laundry as possible.

You know what is said about the best laid plans, don't you? The phone rang. Maybe I should stop answering it altogether. But it was the phone of HeWho was dealing with the moving company. He answered and burst my bubble of relative contentment saying, "The truck will be here in 30 minutes."

I was dumbfounded. Doesn't happen often as I am a quick thinker and usually have a come-back for everything. I stepped into action and started stuffing boxes and taping them closed. The driver of the truck was the caller and HeWho told me he had an attitude. Maybe he did, maybe he didn't, but I can guarantee that his attitude would be no match for mine!

They arrived and I introduced them to Cujo, telling the three men that Cujo hated men and to steer clear of him. I also told them he would be more apt to bite if they chose to annoy Cujo's mistress. The other three dogs clamored for attention and pats on the head, Cujo stayed in my arms until they left his area.

I had made their job all the more easy by stacking bins and boxes in the store for a quick route to the truck. They were moving fast and I was trying to get everything I could out to them for loading. HeWho was kept busy grabbing the tape gun and finishing my boxes as soon as they were full.

I still made that cake! I found some leftover grilled steak in the fridge. I dumped the remaining Barley from a box in the pantry into my Instant pot along with all the beef broth on hand and some water. I added the last half of an onion, a stalk of celery and some chopped carrots and pressure cooked the mixture. Enough soup for two meals. I stripped my bed and started washing everything. I had started the day with dog and cat beds and all their blankets.

I shook the huge detergent bottle every time I started a load, hoping to use it all so I didn't have to load the big container. I would have emptied the meager contents into a smaller container in that event. I hate waste, you know. The best thing that happened all day was that the very last load was my bedspread and the detergent was at it's end. I filled the jug with hot water and got every little bit out and into the washer. Perfect!!

I would always cringe when I cleaned the laundry facilities. So many bottles with product left in them in the trash can. My children will hate it, but I confess that I would gather the brands I liked and use them to do my laundry! My daughters will be appalled that I shared this insight into my life, but my son will be proud of his Mom! We are very much alike, my son and I. Funny, since the older he gets the more he resembles my Daddy, the man who taught me how to be frugal!

With age comes wisdom. When I was young, I might have argued this fact, but the older I get, the more I see how very true it is. I never realized all the life lessons I absorbed from Daddy until I lost him. My Mother had lessons for me as well, but most of hers taught me what NOT to do. She was a troubled soul and I have forgiven her for all the times she hurt me, but I learned from those times. 

So, here I sit at the table in the only empty chair, a cool breeze at my back, making me wonder if I left the back door open. I didn't, it is just that cold. 10 degrees right now, the wind chill making it feel like 1 degree. 

The heater is on in the RV and I am so happy I decided to dress the bed a few days ago. When I get ready, a warm bed awaits me. Not a big bed when we all get in. Martha, the boy cat will be staying in the house here tonight, along with Dora, the turtle under her heat lamp. No sense in stressing them out until the day we pull out. Cujo tends to over salivate when he is feeling stressed and he is slobbering as much as my St. Bernard ever did right now. He needs a bib!

Wonder what atrocities tomorrow holds ...

4 comments:

Linda O'Connell said...

Well that was a surprise sprung on you! You are amazing and resilient, making soup out of whatever must go, baking a cake, doing laundry and greeting the guy with a killer in arms: fair warning. So happy you are almost on your way. What WILL you do when you finally have nothing to DO?

Jo-Anne's Ramblings said...

Moving is stressful and expensive but we generally feel good when its over

Joanne Noragon said...

One foot in front of the other...

River said...

"The truck will be here in 30 minutes" Yikes! I would have spent a few minutes running in circles wondering what to finish first. Usually I am organised, but not when I'm put on the spot like that. You coped really well. And baked a cake and made soup! I take my hat off to you.