Tuesday, May 11, 2021

Here Comes The Sun

 We are supposed to have 4 days of no rain this week. The race is on to get the pool painted. The paint needs time to "cure" and then the filling begins. I hope I have the stamina to be a good helper in this project.

Painting the pool is always fraught with tension. Very labor intensive and the weather rarely cooperates. It always feels like we are two steps behind and not going to make it to the finish line. It doesn't help that HeWho procrastinates would appear to be totally unconcerned about it. I get anxious and start trying to offer lots of advice nag incessantly.

While the men do their thing preparing the pool to receive the paint, I am busy in my gardens. Asparagus and strawberries are coming in, despite the chilly weather. I actually grew tomatoes from seed this year and my windowsill garden in the kitchen is crowded with 16 tiny plants reaching for the sun. The five plants I bought are already in the ground outside in a cow feeding trough. It stays nice and warm in there and they haven't grown enough to rise above the sides yet.

I planted potatoes, beans, peas, and beets so far. Today will find me in the last trough weeding and amending the soil for cucumbers and squash. It is overcast now, but rumor has the sun making an appearance tomorrow.

I have been busy painting more signs with my new speed limit of 5mph.

You may be wondering if campers are noticing. Some are, some aren't, and some obey only when they see me watching them. It is really hard to go only 5mph.

The endless mowing continues. I always notice projects that need attention while I walk behind the mower. Fences in need of paint, weeds going wild in my gardens, trees that need trimmed. When I close my eyes at night I see weeds.

Still trying to wrap my mind around the fact that my sister is gone. I am thankful for the fatigue that makes me too tired to think as I drift into slumber. Mr. BoJangles is my new alarm clock. He wakes me before 7 each morning. Eddie and Cujo are happy to go outside with Bo, then settle on the couch with me while I sip coffee. 

Toni Louise never misses the opportunity to claim her territory in my bed. It gets loud as she snarls and barks at the three boy dogs. No gentle awakening in my house! HeWho pretends to sleep through it all and then goes right back to sleep as I lead my boys out of the room.

I have been up for two hours now and am ready to dress and venture out to my garden. I have plenty to do and would get it done faster if not for the phone and campers finding me. I am thinking about tall fences to hide behind! That would block the sun and my vegetables need that sun. 

3 comments:

Joanne Noragon said...

Soon you will be neck deep in work, and then it will be Labor Day.

River said...

Your garden sounds delightfully busy right now with everything growing. A driveway near my home has a sign that reads "driving speed is walking speed" which seems to work for them.

Linda O'Connell said...

You work harder than anyone I know. Gardening is the most rewarding. Mystudents used to get so excited when we planted in a clear container and they could see the roots going down and the shoots growing up. I hope the sunshine brings warmth to your soul.