Wednesday, April 21, 2021

Do Unto Others

This weather is strange. Never before have I noted to myself that the grass needs to be cut, while watching snow cover it. But that is exactly what I did yesterday.

The good thing about the snow falling was that it made for a slow day in the office. I hit the ground running as soon as we returned from our sad trip and hadn't really had the time to rest. It was good to be busy. I didn't have time to think deep thoughts.

Yesterday was a relax and take inventory day and I was fine until I decided to watch some TV. I DVR stuff to watch without commercial interruption. I chose Grey's Anatomy. It was all about Covid and ventilators and all I could think about was my sister on a ventilator. I should have stuck with a sitcom.

Just after I had showered and dried my unruly hair yesterday I heard the bell ring for the office door. I went out to see a young man on my porch. He was not attired for the weather. Bare feet in slide on sandals, just a hoodie for a coat, no gloves to protect his hands. He had a phone with a black screen and asked if he could use my phone to call someone to pick him up. He was shaking with cold as I handed him the phone. I could not help but hear his end of the conversation. He had WALKED here from a hospital in Columbia, at least 40 miles from here. From what he told me and I heard, his mother was supposed to have picked him up upon his release and didn't show for whatever reason. I excused myself and went in my house and grabbed a pair of socks and a mask for him (not knowing why he was in the hospital) so that he could come inside and out of the snow and wind.

His bare toes were making me cold. HeWho can be a hero, listened to the story and volunteered to drive him the additional 23 miles home. I told the young man that he had a ride home, as he was begging someone to come get him. Then I rustled up a cup of hot chocolate for him, to quickly warm him up. He was very grateful with tears in his eyes as they left.

Then my mind took over and I texted my friend to say that I hoped I had not just sealed my husband in his truck with a mass murderer. I wondered aloud to myself about the license tag number on our truck in case I might need to alert the constabulary if HeWho did not return in a reasonable amount of time. You know the old adage about a good deed never going unpunished.

He returned unscathed and I decided it was a doing unto others act, instead. Today, the sun is shining and while it is still cold outside, I have plenty to get done inside. Ten loads of laundry already out of the way from the trip, there is still the everyday stuff to get washed and dried and folded. Along with some worn signs from the park waiting to be lettered and painted to be re-hung.

Bo has decided that my body is his jungle gym when ever he finds me sitting here. He will march back and forth on my shoulders and lean in on either side to tickle my face with his whiskers as he watches me type. That is distracting enough, but he just gave my eyeball a lick and I must say it was most unwelcome!

 

9 comments:

dkzody said...

I love everything about Bo. He is a good distraction for you. You and He Who get extra points for your kindness to a stranger. May the Lord watch over you and always send His angels to keep you safe.

ellen abbott said...

y'all are good people. I was coming home from yoga one night, had to be winter as it was dark, was almost home when two young women flagged me down on a dark unlit road. I almost didn't see them. they got stranded at a party and had walked pretty far, I can't remember from where and still had about 15 miles before they were home. all they asked was could I just take them to the Bucky's on the highway so they could use a phone with no guarantee they could get someone to come get them. they had flagged down several other cars along the way but while a few stopped, no one would help them. I drove them home after calling my husband and letting him know. yeah the fear of stranger danger flashed through my mind but I couldn't in good conscience leave them with the same danger, someone stopping to 'help' them.

btw, did you try to send me a message through instagram or messenger? I got a weird notification from Kathy Schultz Eliasa few days ago.

Joanne Noragon said...

What will the generation do when we old folks are dead and gone?

Linda O'Connell said...

I love that little pooch! And the kindness you two extended to the young man. I loved your opening about watching snow fall on grass that needed to be mowed. It is almost a poem.

Jo-Anne's Ramblings said...

I enjoyed the post although I am not really with it.

Val said...

Karma will give paybacks when you least expect it. Good for HeWho (and you for putting the plan in motion). Maybe HeWho even treated the fellow to a Diet Coke on the way...

River said...

Yuk! Eyeball lick!
I'm glad you and HeWho helped that young man and I hope his mother is alright and nothing bad happened that kept her from picking him up.

Leslie U. said...

My eyes teared as I read this. The idea of someone getting out of the hospital and no one was there for him hurt me to the core. I am so glad you and your husband were kind to him and got him home.

Marla said...

Well done. We're all children needing a parent now and then along the way.