Saturday, December 22, 2018

Hauling Water

It is almost over. Christmas, I mean. Then New Years. I plan to leave all the white lights up, so I won't have too much to take down.

 This is the snowman I made for Camper Craig (aka Santa).  The snowman is huge, over 5' tall. We had a tree fall and I requested some slices from the stump. I wanted to stack them ….. 
Since the bottom slice could only be moved around on the hand truck, I knew it would take something strong to hold it all together. With lots of help from Kevin (actually, he did all the heavy lifting, I just directed the placement of the "snow balls"). Seven coats of paint later, some lettering, eyes, buttons and a scarf. He Who did not like the original mouth and kept telling me to add some here and some there. Now I don't particularly like the mouth! Wondering about the nose? A finish nail will be holding a real carrot!

I changed the scarf to a red Christmas print. The one I stuck on it to see what it would look like was too thick to thread between the neck and the 4X4 fence post it is attached to. I knew the strong wind we always get would blow that scarf away. If only we had a silk hat ……


This is the makeshift Christmas tree in our sitting room. I put an old window on the wall with lights and the "tree" is scrap 1X4's attached to a 2X4. The stuffed animals are Eddie's favorite toys.


In the store, I used a live tree. Not mine, just some of the trees and plants that are staying inside over the winter. I have 3 grow lights in the room and I sometimes wonder if people think I am growing a lucrative crop of plants that might have street value!

Hanging plants grace the windows to take advantage of the sparse sunshine. This is just a few. Plants line all the walls in the room and the other side of the store, as well. I try to strategically place them so that the overflow of water drips to plants below. I am not always successful and end up mopping after I water.

Watering is an event. I only water once a week, since the heat is not on in the store. It takes 12 gallons of water. Water is heavy, you know. Especially in my old arthritic hands. So, when I saw one of those coiled green 50' hoses on the clearance rack for a mere $15 I snatched it up and tossed it in my cart.

My thought was to hook it up at my kitchen sink and pull it through the door into the store and use it to water. I knew it would not reach all the plants, but I could refill a container easily and not have to walk back and forth hauling a gallon of water in each hand 6 times. 

I also knew that I would need an adapter to hook that hose to my kitchen faucet. But I am the wife of HeWho knows how to rig things up. Knowing that Santa would be eating breakfast with all the kiddos last Sunday, I brought my dilemma to the attention of HeWho will make 7 or 8 trips to finish a project. I wanted to water on Saturday, Sunday is my usual day ….. but Santa was coming!

Did HeWho take pity on his wife and put an adapter on the faucet? He did not. He mumbled some nonsense about not "finding" what he needed. A week has passed and he has still not managed to "find" what I need. Tomorrow will find me hauling water …… again.

3 comments:

Val said...

That's a lot of watering!

Linda O'Connell said...

Your plants are gorgeous, lush and MANY. He Who might want to rethink his part. I can see you getting even somehow if he doesn't lug some of that water.

River said...

I do hope he finds that adapter soon.