Thursday, August 17, 2017

This Is Where I Draw The Line

Tempted as I am, I don't blog about politics. I have very strong views and if you decide to engage in a debate about it ..... I am more than happy to share my views. But, this week, watching the events unfold, I am finding it really hard to keep my mouth shut. But I will.

I have plenty of material right here with-in the borders of my own little world. Did I forget to mention my unforgettable weekend clientele? Lots of kids here. Lots and lots. Two sites had nearly 20 kids.

I may have mentioned a time or two how I feel about parents who turn their kids loose. No supervision. This leaves me in an awkward position. I can either yell at the kids, or implore the parents to take charge. I choose to bypass the parents, since they would have the children under control if they were into parenting.

Just awhile ago I yelled at a little boy for playing with the pool equipment. His mother was on the phone, chain-smoking with her back to the child in the pool area. As I walked over to finish my chores for the day, she commented that she had told the kid to put "that thing" down, but he never listens to her. I said, "He didn't seem to have trouble following my directions when I told him to put it down." She said, "I am his mother, but he won't listen to me. We (I am assuming she is referring to herself and her parents) just got them back from their dad and they are acting like butt holes now."

I went on about my business, putting up the cleaning equipment and weeding 60' of fence line. She seemed to be pretty self involved, intent on her phone conversation and a marathon smoking event. I wondered if she was in a contest to see just how fast she could smoke that pack of cigarettes.

Last weekend a couple spent most of their time in the store, eating ice cream and just generally taking up my time. They ran up a sizable tab, and I found it a little strange that they were only treating themselves and not their kids. But, not my business. I was happy to see Sunday come.

Sundays are my happy days. Most campers are busy packing up and getting ready to pull out. I can indulge in some outdoor time as long as I stay close to the door and have the phone. I was weeding in my fairy garden when a camper alerted me to cries for help coming from the men's room.

I approached cautiously and a little boy was at the door peeking out a narrow opening. I asked if he was okay. He nodded yes, I asked if he needed help and he pointed to the toilet paper and his bum. This is where I draw the line. The kid looked to be 7 or 8 and should have been able to accomplish this task on his own. But, here's the deal, people .... if your child needs help in the bathroom, perhaps you should accompany him when he goes. It is not a good idea to ask strangers to wipe your butt!

2 comments:

Val said...

Some lines are made to be drawn, and never crossed. This is one.

ellen abbott said...

it's far too easy for some people to get pregnant.