Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Ode To Billie Joe


 Okay, all Hertz rental cars are equipped with "Never Lost". Took me a bit to get it programmed, but I did. Unfortunately I chose the "shortest route". That means the shortest in miles, not time.

I took highway 78 from Memphis to Birmingham. It was four lanes and 70 mph. A straight shot and not bad at all. There were red lights and the speed limit dropped at every little community. But not so bad.

After my night's stay I was ready to go. Got in the car and Never Lost asked if I wanted to "resume" and I chose that option. I traveled through Mississippi. I crossed the Tallahatchee River. I did not see where Billie Joe McCallister jumped ..... or maybe I did. After I traveled through Birmingham, I think I hit every little two lane road there was in Alabama and Georgia. I had to keep listening to my friend Never Lost, because I had no idea where I was!


2 comments:

Linda O'Connell said...

Same thing happened to us this summer as that yapping electronic idiot took us 100 miles out of our way down through the backwoods bayous. UGH. I know you're glad to be home.

Val said...

Sometimes, I imagine those "Never Lost" programmers snickering behind their fists.