Monday, July 2, 2012

Dammit Doll Day Strikes Again

"Did I take my blood pressure pill?" I wonder aloud last night as I am getting ready for bed. My head is hurting and I feel crappy. I think I took it, but cannot recall actually swallowing it. I know I thought about it ........

I woke this morning with a pounding headache. Got up anyway, because I had to. I heated up some day old coffee and fed all the animals. I wish for rain selfishly, because rain means the pool will be empty and I can lay down. We need rain, but I don't care about that, I just want a little break. I tried to close early yesterday, like I do every Sunday. Seems like the very people who will tell me that I need to take some time for myself are the ones who are put out when I try to close early.

It is Monday and the pool doesn't open until 11, so I decide to lock myself in and lay down. My blood pressure is 140/100 and I think that I did not take my pill yesterday. My fingers are swollen and I can watch my pulse as my eyeballs bounce with each beat of my heart. I try sitting quietly with the TV turned low. After almost 10 whole minutes I hear the chime of the door. I try to ignore it. It is only 8:30, after all. It chimes again ....... and again. Then I hear Harvey, our work kamper calling me.

The propane company is here. Another annoyance. We changed vendors for a better price and better service. They finally delivered the promised dispense station and new tank a mere month late. We lost countless sales as we waited for the equipment and when they finally get it here, we discover that it has been wired wrong and the motor has been burned up. And now they decide to be prompt ........

After that, I gave up on the whole sitting quietly while the headache subsides idea. I turned every sprinkler in the park on and hung laundry on the line. I shook my fist skyward and dared the rain to fall. I cleaned a truly unmentionable mess in the ladies room. And if you read this with any regularity, you will be wondering because I have mentioned some really nasty stuff.

Around noon, after watching the day swimmers violate my signs and speed limit and biting my tongue, to keep from being rude, I call he who hates to be confined to the store and told him I needed some relief before I slapped someone and ended up in jail. He must have believed me, because he came home and took over. I went to bed.

I heard thunder rumbling on and off, but I had the shades pulled down and was laying very still as I willed the headache to go away. I never did go to sleep and the headache never went completely away, but it rained!! I got up to watch the water fall from the sky and onto my laundry on the line. I did not care at all. I inquired about the people in the pool, as the thunder was very loud at this point and the rain was coming down hard. They waited until lightning actually split the sky to get their children out and run to their vehicles. I cared not, it was raining and it smelled wonderful.

Didn't last nearly long enough, but dropped the temperature by 20 degrees. I piddled around in the cool air carefully. The headache hovered over me, waiting to attack. I came in and cooked up some fresh tomato sauce and processed the gazillion tiny peaches I had pulled from the tree. I put some in the dehydrator and the rest I pitted and cooked down, then ran through the food mill for my sweet son-in-law to make his wine.

We actually sat down and ate our dinner together with nary an interruption.  This is a very rare event and I wondered if it meant I would have to pay dearly for it later .........

As 10:30 approaches and I am sitting in my office waiting for the very rude tow truck driver to pull a disabled motorhome in, I have my answer. The call came nearly three hours ago from the dispatcher to see if I have space available. At 9:30 I gave up and locked the store. The driver called about 25 minutes ago .......... did not identify himself or the reason for the call, just demanded to know "where are you?". Since we discovered a propane leak coming from the new tank and had put in a call for service, I was not sure who I was talking to, but gave directions anyway.

My headache is back and I have taken my blood pressure pill and am longing to go hide in my bedroom until morning when  I get to do this all over again. Rain would be nice, really nice. A steady all day rain. I will leave my laundry on the line and start the sprinklers again ........

7 comments:

mamahasspoken said...

I feel your pain when it comes to the rain. Very dry here and when it does rain, it has a tendency to go 'around' us or evaporate before it even hits the ground.
I even feel your pain with the headache. The type you describe are a bugger to get rid of especially when it prevents you from sleeping :o(

knancy said...

Is there any stuffing left in that doll at all?

Brian Miller said...

could def use some rain right about now to cool things off...and yikes make sure you take those meds...esp with campers around...smiles...

Joanne Noragon said...

I'm so sorry and hopeing for things to be better again.

Pat said...

I would NEVER remember if I took my pills if I didn't put them in one of those MTWTFSS pill dispensers. I am VERY forgetful! But I highly recommend using one of those.

Could your headaches be caused by the change in barometer due to the pending rain? I usually get migraines from that.

lotta joy said...

Even with my meds in a MTWTFSS box, I'm always surprised to see one or two whole days left over. I had steady eyeball pain for over a month. When I finally got brave enough to check my BP, it was 180/140. Still, I'm not one to go to the doctor. I can live longer if I don't get them involved.

Linda O'Connell said...

Girl, no wonder you have a headache. Hope you are feeling better.