Saturday, December 24, 2011

Are The Puppies Gone?

I awoke to a shining sun this Christmas Eve morn. I stretched out as much as my canine children would allow and was rewarded with a pounce on my chest. I fumbled for my slippers and gathered the two elder dogs in my arms and took my crew out. I went about the business of water changing and filling bowls of kibble ...........

Then I remembered the overnight guests in my store! I quickly heated up some mushed up food for baby puppy and grabbed a bowl for bigger puppy. Bigger puppy is in heat, by the way and looks like she may already be in a family way. Poor little girl. They waited patiently while I brought the food. They are so afraid their food will be gone that they gulped it down without chewing or tasting. Then they went outside with me and took care of business and followed me back in. Wow, they are better behaved than my crew!

I left them in the store and was treated to some howling when I left to wake he who had to take them to the shelter. While he dressed I went in to tell the pups good bye. The older one gently licked my fingers, acknowledging that those were the fingers that fed her. She is a pretty little girl with a sweet face and long floppy ears. I allowed myself to cuddle the baby puppy and handed her off for the last time.

While he who loves puppies was gone, I wondered what I would do if he returned with them. My dogs were sniffing me suspiciously. Oscar was pretty indifferent, having been through additions to the family many times. Emmy wasn't even curious. Wall-E was wary and suspicious and would not let me pet his head. Toni was sniffing like a crazed animal. She loves to sniff and this kept her from paying so much attention to my eyes. She has an eye fetish.

We saw the truck at the same time. Wall-E was watching at the window and started barking right away to let us know that his Papa was home. Toni joined him and Oscar and Emmy stood watching as he opened the door ..........

I was watching closely for a tiny snout or paw. Toni had her head in the air sniffing and Oscar had a low growl rumbling. Emmy was tense as the door swung slowly open to reveal what was on the other side ..............

What are the odds that the shelter would be closed on Christmas Eve?

Ellen was wondering who had the odds on whether these sweet pups would make it to the shelter. My youngest daughter called yesterday while I was bathing the pup we called Sadie. She opined that I would end up on the reality show about animal hoarders. I did not tell her sister about the puppies, but I did tell her brother and also told him that his youngest really needs a puppy. She is a dog lover, my little Zara. And I did foster the puppy, Max, for Gavin .......

So what do you suppose was on the other side of the door besides my husband?

Nothing. No puppies. The shelter was open and took them along with the names we gave them. The woman who took them is confidant that they will find homes easily. We actually got our last dog, Toni, at the same shelter. She is a wonderful dog, sweet and affectionate .......well, if you overlook her eye fetish.

I know all my children are proud of me, cause we all know I could have kept those puppies if I wanted to.

10 comments:

Brian Miller said...

nice..i am glad they took the pups...and will find a good home for them...merry christmas eve kathy...have a lovely holiday

Joanne Noragon said...

You gave them a night's shelter and a meal and they were grateful. They'll be great pets for the next family. Happy holidays.

ellen abbott said...

Well good. You broke the chain of mis-fortune for them and they are in the hands of people who have their best interest at heart.

And really, 6 dogs is too many.

Sextant said...

Hopefully the pups will get new loving families soon. Still it had to break a piece of your heart giving them up. I think my wife could become one of those crazy cat ladies.

Merry Christmas to you and he who remains he who.

luksky said...

I have an overly strong affection for dogs myself and have a very hard time with abandoned or shelter dogs. Luckily, the one I got from the shelter a year ago is so hard to handle that it deters my heart from weakening.

Eddie Bluelights said...

A very Happy Christmas to you ~ Eddie

Teresa said...

Merry Christmas! glad the shelter was open and took the little ladies.

Anonymous said...

I am so thankful for the SPCA in our town. Open 24/7. Although I stay far away from it, as I have a heart that breaks too easily and would take every animal there, my hubby takes our deceased cats there. Our last one died last week and he made that trek. I am thankful and always send a large donation. Good people doing good work.

Mike said...

They would make a great Christmas gift for some family!

I hope you're enjoying the holidays.

Venom said...

Popping out of the willows to wish you a Happy New Year Kathy - and bless your heart for helping those pups!
hugs,
Venom