Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Let's Go To The Auction!

I was curious. I wanted to snoop. I have always wondered about this place and wanted to see what was inside. I confess that I would not have gone alone and he who should indulge his wife might have accompanied me if I had made an issue of it. Yvonne wanted to go, too; so we went together. He who was only mildly curious stayed here at the kampground under the guise of taking care of business.

This plantation is only a couple of miles from our kampground and a couple of years ago someone brought some fliers in the store advertising tours. I don't know that they ever got any interest. It is in poor repair and as you can see this happened over time. The little balcony over the front door is actually crumbling. The fence could use a good white wash .............


The most recent residents were birds. Causing me to wonder if they return year after year and use the same nest. Maybe another bird family discovers this nest and decides to just add a few twigs and move in. Or ........ maybe they sublet from the builder and paid with worms? I know, my mind is a strange place to visit. He who loves me told me so.


We entered the house from the back. The front was boarded up and obviously not safe. The back porch was not in great shape either, but you can see that it was once a very fancy place. There were some rotten boards on the decking and I chose to walk near the wall ............



All the rooms had fireplaces and wood floors. Beautiful mantles, original. The bright yellow and blue paint? I don't think so.



Another questionable paint choice. It is hot pink.



Love the floor repairs. Tin can lids.




Exposed brick. If you can get past the really garish paint color, you can find a little charm here and there. I am sure the exposed brick would prove to be an energy problem, though.



Upstairs had lots of water damage. I was really cautious up here. There were area rugs in some places. I did not walk on those. I could just imagine hitting a weak spot on the floor and end up dangling between floors wrapped in an old dusty carpet ......... wheezing and gasping for breath; unable to cry out for help and disgracing myself in need of a bathroom .....

Some rooms had no damage at all. Really tall closet door! There was an an air exchange register in the floor, too. What there wasn't, was plumbing. No bathrooms, no kitchen. No kidding. I was told that this was a bed and breakfast at one time. Did they use chamber pots? Did breakfast come from McDonalds. How charming ...........


Aha! Aunt Julia's kitchen in an out house. Looks cute, this little building.


I found the kitchen! Check out that big crack in the foundation. Not exactly inviting, this kitchen. And still no bathroom in the this building. I seem to be hung up on the whole bathroom thing, don't I? I am not an outhouse girl. First of all, it would be a very cold adventure in the winter; and second, I would always be wondering what critters might be under that hole I was sitting upon.


Check out the mold growing on the wall and even the curtains. Do you suppose this is the dining area? Yum!



Old and tired. That is how this ceiling fan looks to me. Stooped shoulders, just begging to be relieved of duty.
It was interesting to see this once magnificent building. I will be watching to see what happens now that it has been sold.














5 comments:

ellen abbott said...

Oh, I do hope whoever bought it has the wherewithall to restore it.

Brian Miller said...

nice. could use some fixing up but a cool old house...that red colors is a little wierd...

Teresa said...

gross but cool in a really odd sort of way. reminds me of that movie "money pit" that came out several years ago. i lived in one of those - built in 1902 and super cool, but definitely a money pit once we started restoring it.

@ly said...

Very cool old house. I bet there are some very cool spirits living there as well!

Pat said...

It seemed a little dangerous to tour, but I just loved your commentary!