Tuesday, November 24, 2020

Be Thankful

 I was sitting here feeling sorry for myself. We are not going to see my kids for Thanksgiving. The big rig will not fit in any one of their driveways and parking on the street is prohibitive after snow has started to fall. No RV parks open up there. I suppose we could go in my new car that is towable and very small. With four dogs. No, that won't work. One does not impose on family with four dogs. Well, not if you want to be welcome ever again. They all have had dogs in their homes, but my doxies would want to leave some evidence that they, too, had been there. Bo would challenge any dogs in residence and although he thinks he is a big ferocious boy, he is not. Toni Louise would glue herself to her master and snarl at everyone. Good times.

In the midst of my pity party I got a text from a friend. Her son's father-in-law had Covid followed by a blood clot and complications. I have been keeping that family in my prayers, but this morning the family was told that he was not going to pull through. So very sad for them. So much pain and grief to endure so close to Thanksgiving. 

A reminder of all I have to be thankful for. I can facetime my kids any time I want. I can call them and hear their voices. I am well, HeWho is as well as can be expected (given his ability to sabotage his wellness with forbidden things). I will just have to stare at his grizzly beginnings of a beard and imagine he is young again ..... with hair on his head.

No turkey for us. Too much waste for just the two of us. In years past we have filled the seats around our table with friends and anyone not having a place to go. This meant mountains of food and lots of left-overs to share. This year we will eat chicken. same fixings scaled down tremendously. I will just long for conversation with someone I won't have to yell at. You know, someone who doesn't say "what?" "who?" "when?" "where?". Maybe he fancies himself to be a journalist?

There is much to be thankful for in my little world. Wishing everyone a happy Thanksgiving with a little reminder to stay safe this year. 

7 comments:

Leslie U. said...

We are having a much scaled down Thanksgiving as well. Sadly my niece and nephew who work retail actually have the day off this year but because they are around the public daily they have been keeping away from my folks (their grandparents) who are 85 and almost 83 and not in the best of health as well. They will spend it with my nieces family instead though so they are not alone and I know her mom will be thrilled to have them.

Jo-Anne's Ramblings said...

So many families are unable to get together at special times this year.

Joanne Noragon said...

And a happy and tasty thanksgiving to the two of you, Kathy. It is surely a strange year, soon to end.

Kathy G said...

Happy Thanksgiving to you too!

River said...

If you set up a Zoom meeting right on dinnertime you can talk to everyone else and HeWo won't have to get yelled at. You may have to arrange a specific time if you are in different time zones.

Linda O'Connell said...

Ha ha we have the same problem with our hard of hearing dear ones. Call me, or p.m. me. We will be alone, too this year. So I bought TWO pies and will make double the stuffing so we can put on pounds all weekend. I miss my family, too, but we can't chance it this year. Happy Thanksgiving.

luksky said...

Since it's always just the three of us...me, hubby and my daughter for holidays, I always just make us each a cornish hen. No waste of a giant turkey that way. Happy Thanksgiving.