Thursday, October 1, 2020

The Future Makes Me Sad

 Like many of my fellow bloggers, I have been avoiding anything political. But last night while watching TV, I was struck by the utter stupidity of people.

Late night TV is entertaining. Jimmy Kimmel has a segment where a man interviews people live on the street. It is funny. Or sad. The interviewer will ask questions based on some event that has either not happened yet or never did. The episode I was watching had the interviewer asking questions about the presidential debate BEFORE it happened.

The people were all ages and lifestyles. What they had in common was their willingness to be interviewed. And that they all lied about having seen the debate. They all enthusiastically joined in the description of scenarios presented. It was funny. Those people will see themselves on TV and feel foolish, right?

The more I thought about it, though, the more depressed it made me. These people will vote and they are sadly uninformed. How many people out there have no clue about the issues. They have done absolutely no research about the candidate they support. They have no clue where their candidate stands on issues that will directly impact their lives.

This is not a popularity contest like grammar school when you voted for the prettiest girl or the cutest boy to be class president. Republican or Democrat matters not. Ignorance seems to rule the day lately. I bet most people can't tell you why they voted for a candidate. I have asked some people and the answers make me sad. "Because I have always voted Republican/Democrat, just like my Daddy and his Daddy did." "My husband decides who we vote for." "I don't know, I just like the way his/her name sounds."

In this time of instant news being reported and access to so many ways to do a little research on the candidates, why would you not take advantage to learn more in order to make an informed decision? This not only makes me sad, it makes me mad that my children and their children have this to look forward to in the future.

9 comments:

Jim Davis said...

Unfortunately we have become a nation that has a lot of people with a lack of critical thinking skills.....

Joanne Noragon said...

The future of our country isn't promising. It is up to the kids.

ellen abbott said...

The state republican platform in Texas one year had in it that they were against the teaching of critical thinking skills in school because it made children question their parents and elders. I kid you not. I've seen those segments but usually asking people questions about the news or something about out history or government and the ignorance is just astounding. apparently they quit teaching civics and economics in high school. they were required to graduate when I was in school. the whole education system went in the toilet when they decided every kid should be on a college track and got rid of trade schools and apprenticeships and instituted no child left behind (kids learn how to pass the tests but that about all) and pass/fail promotion to the next grade ending up with a lot of kids starting college who couldn't even read. not to mention republican defunding of schools for decades resulting in too few schools and too large classes that no teacher can handle. is it any wonder this country is in the shape it's in. sad really.

Jo-Anne's Ramblings said...

So many idiots in the world many of them are politians

RunNRose said...

I feel sorry for my grandkids. Ages 22 and 25. The younger one much more aware of the frightful situation in which we find our
country. Her brother falls in line with his dad. Their argument is that no matter who/what? the Republican Party nominates, it 's better than a Democrat. I feel sorry for both of them. The only world they will know is the one being created now. From my point of view, a nightmare scenario. It's a world devoid of logic or "common sense". Really sad.

River said...

I saw a little bit of the Presidential debate on TV here and was just as disgusted with Trump as I always have been. But Joe Biden didn't seem to have much to say either. It's a shame there isn't anyone else better qualified in the running.

Val said...

Oh. I thought the title was "The FURNITURE Makes Me Sad." I read the whole thing waiting to see if something happened to your couch. Guess I'm one of those people...

Linda O'Connell said...

I feel the same way! There is little hope for the younger generation. My motto as a teacher was: teach kids HOW to think not WHAT to think. I asked forgiveness many days rather than permission. Common sense is a commodity and not many possess it.

dkzody said...

I try very hard to just stay in the present day, not looking back at what we had, or trying to deduce what we will have later on. The future is indeed scary and I believe it will only be worse than what has been. Is that even possible?