About the hospital …. why he chose to head east instead of west to Columbia, a mere 40 minutes away is still a mystery to me. Instead he ended up in St. Charles, 63 miles from home. A pretty straight shot on the interstate, but Columbia is so much closer. I suppose he was so used to taking Kevin that he just automatically headed that way.
I am well familiar with the route to the hospital now. With my youngest daughter here, I don't even have to think. She is my rock. I can just sit back and let her make all the decisions for me. She made sure I ate and that I had everything I needed. Always there to shove me up when I would want to just slither to the floor and bawl my eyes out. My girl is in charge!
I am sitting here in the hospital with my feet on his bed while we wait. The Halloween event is happening without me. I know I could have cancelled, but I had promoted it and built all those props. I have more help than I know what to do with and everything is under control.
He is still in ICU. Surgery was scheduled for Monday. A triple by-pass. He is feeling a lot better. All episodes of chest pain have diminished and he is no longer on morphine. Just nitroglycerin and Heparin drips going. The pump that was helping oxygenate and move his blood through his heart has been removed and he can get up with assistance.
My daughter and her family have gone home and my son will be here tonight. The sister of HeWho and her husband have come and gone, as well. His cousin will be here tomorrow. I am not alone! Even if there was no family here, I would not be alone. My Kamper family has been taking good care of me.
The initial cardiologist came in and talked to us and drew a diagram of the major arteries to show us just how damaged they were. It was an impressive amount of blockage, most in the 90% range. I could understand how an angioplasty was not a good option. Not only were there a lot of blockages illustrated, but he described the "good" portions as being filled with a lot of "junk". I told him it was sausage biscuit gravy from McDonald's. He was
Now he has spoken to the surgeons without his wife and he has been removed from the surgical schedule in favor of another attempt for angioplasty. I have mixed feelings about this. Recovery will be so much easier and quicker, but I am not convinced this is a good and lasting solution.
If the attempt is not successful, he will have to wait to be placed on the surgical schedule again and then still have the bypass. Well, unless they damage the arterial wall with the attempt and then he will have an emergency bypass.
I hate that I know all this. I can't just blindly trust the surgeon. I am waiting to voice my concerns. My sweet son is here and I am so happy to see him!!