Saturday, September 15, 2018

You'll Cut Your Finger Off!!

Yes, he said that to me. The man who really almost cut his finger off due to his inattention to safety measures that most people take.

It all started when I ask the man in charge of power tools to cut a few boards for me. Okay, it was a shelving structure in the store. I wanted to cut it down because I am always having to fill in space with odd stuff. It takes up a lot of floor space and I ask that it be cut in half.

After two days of explaining the simple task to him and seeing the blank look in his eyes ….. a tool he uses to make me think he is simple minded when he just doesn't want to do the task. Finally I asked Kevin. He said he would cut it for me. I wanted it done yesterday so I could work on it today while I am stuck in the store. Kevin was still mowing and delivering wood when it turned dark. I restrained myself.

This morning, while HeWho procrastinates was sitting in his recliner after a run to procure his breakfast, I asked him if he could do it. Big sigh. He measured and diddled around and borrowed my drill. He began taking it apart. To cut it in half. This would leave a shelf long enough to make another shelf on top. He was not in the best of moods, doing his wife's bidding, so I was happy to see Kevin walk in, tools in hand.

Before he had made much progress dismantling, I suggested that he leave it intact and cut it just beyond the middle supports. This would be a whole lot quicker. I did realize that it would also mean that the shelf left would not be long enough to put on top. I know things. This took awhile to explain and I was interrupted by the phone for a reservation. I apologized to the woman for sounding irritated and told her I was trying to explain something to men, She understood, being a woman and all.

Finally the sound of the skill saw filled the air and I exited to water my plants and escape the noise. The task was very nearly done when I returned and I noticed that the skill saw was really cute. Green and small. Battery powered. I said I wanted one. That's when he said , "NO, YOU'LL CUT YOUR FINGER OFF!!"

I have used saws before. I am not an idiot. Why would I put a body part in the path of the blade? And besides all that ……. who was it that I carted around from hospital to hospital because HE ALMOST CUT HIS FINGER OFF!

I am getting a saw, yes, I am.


5 comments:

Kathy G said...

Oh1 Just think of all the projects you can get done without waiting for help!

Linda O'Connell said...

At least he will know you mean business and perhaps not sigh heavily when you ask him to knock off something on his Honey Do list.

Joanne Noragon said...

Cumon, HeWho. Laura has one in her arsenal!

Val said...

Maybe you can sigh heavily, rev up your saw, and give him your own special look the next time he asks you to do something.

RunNRose said...

Yes, Get a saw. If you want it done, you will not have to wait for someone else to do it. Meanwhile, I hope you got the shelf problem solved to your satisfaction! I'm enjoying your more frequent posts. One thing is for sure. You are much more patient than I am.