Thursday, February 13, 2014

Temperature Rising

I still can't figure out how to edit photos on this new (ish) computer. I did get some pictures of the snow covered grounds.

They won't be all clean and white for long, as they are predicting 50"s for the weekend. I dread the temperature rising as much as I dread the temperature going lower. While I welcome the warmth, I am not at all happy anticipating what will be happening outside.

This is when we will see which pipes have burst, the back yard will be a muddy mess and the dogs will bring it in with them. Let the record show that I like snow. I like to watch it fall and accumulate on the ground. It paints everything white and clean, while hiding ugly brown grass and dead plants. I feel that it should stay on the ground, like a nice blanket until Spring. As it melts, the daffodils and snow crocus will poke through and be in bloom as the last bits of it fall away.

So, then, why did I not stay in Minnesota? I wonder about that. He Who loves the sun wanted to go south, while She Who loves the snow was digging her heels in. We compromised and here we are ......... in the middle of nowhere, in the great state of Missouri (pronounced misery).

The first pipe to burst was in the laundry room. I have not been very good at housekeeping chores of late and decided that if I took two loads out to the coin machines and did one load in my washer, I could get more done in that small window of opportunity that I am able to move freely in the morning. While the muscle relaxer still lingers in my system, and the morning pain meds are fresh.

I put the clothes in and added the detergent, plopped in my quarters and put down the lid. I heard the water start and was turning to put another load in the other machine when it occurred to me that it sounded like the water was splashing on the floor. I pulled the lid up to stop the machine and sure enough, the water was on the floor.

So much for going three times faster. I left the clothes and called He Who Plumbs. This was yesterday. The clothes are still in the machine. I can't reach down that far. Well, I can, but it causes pain. The load of laundry stuck in the machine are made up mostly of my clothes. They might just stay there until Spring.

In just 2 more days I will have health insurance! I can now schedule the MRI and confirm the diagnosis. If I need surgery, and I probably do, I hope to get it done before those bulbs are popping up through the ground. I don't know how long the recovery is, but it can't be as bad as the pain I have endured on and off since July.

I ventured out onto the thawing driveway to empty my kitchen compost and grab more firewood. It is downright balmy out there. I breathed in the fresh air and admired the side yard, so pretty and white, unmarred by footprints. I think I will go to my sewing lair and turn on my SAD light. Put on an audio book and get lost in some fabric. I am toying with an idea that involves tiny rag dolls and match boxes ..........

6 comments:

Brian Miller said...

we got your snow...maybe up to 24 inches by tonight....we are around 16 or 18 right now....

Linda O'Connell said...

you actually enjoy winter? Yikes. You must have been pretty happy this year. Sorry to hear about the pipes bursting. I do hope you get some permanent pain relief.

luksky said...

I used to love the heat, but I find as I get older I don't tolerate it well anymore. That said, I'm not too good at tolerating the cold either. I think I need to move to Hawaii...lol

Val said...

Woohoo! A temp of 6 degrees on the way to work this morning, then we hit 56. People don't know how lucky they are that I resisted the urge to lay out in a bikini.

Joanne Noragon said...

Matchbox dolls sounds so super. Can't wait.

mamahasspoken said...

I love the snow too for the same reasons! Love how it makes everything look clean and fresh but only from the comfort of my window, looking out ;o)