Friday, May 28, 2010

Check-in/Check-out

I started the day with optimism ........ really, I did.

I rushed through my morning chores (cleaning toilets) and then raced to the local grocery for fresh bread and milk and eggs for the convenience of my campers. Check out isn't until noon .............. so check-in can't occur until ...... after noon. Right? If you try to check in a hotel before check-in time what happens? So, I am carefully selecting all the items I need and my cell rings. He who loathes checking in campers and can't seem to look at my easy chart is frantic because the people I assigned to 14 can't get in because 14 hasn't left yet. Probably because it is only 11:00 and they assume they have another hour to get going............


So, now I am literally running and pushing the cart like I am trying to get to the finish line first. All I can think about is getting back to the campground to enforce my chart!! He said he had several more checking in. Several, how many is several? My mind is whirling with the many variations of mistakes that can be made with several check-ins. I finally make it to the check-out counter where exactly two lines are open. Foolishly, I choose the line with nothing on the belt. I load my merchandise onto the belt and watch as the nice lady conducts her transaction with her EBT card, then pays for the non-qualifying items and think that I am next. How silly I am. The clerk disappears into the room containing the locked up cigarettes and finally reappears with about a dozen single packs, two different brands. Then forgets that he locked his drawer when he left his post and tries to scan them several times before realizing and correcting his error. He then proceeds to scan each pack ever so slowly.


Yay, my turn. He reaches beyond the six packs of Pepsi product and scans and bags all my breads first and hands each bag to me. He looks at me quizzically as I lay each bag back on the counter and I tell him I want to put the heavier items into the cart first. He looks at me like I have grown horns and asks what he should scan next and I suggest the six-packs of sodas. I also had four 2 litre bottles of Diet Coke to satisfy he who drinks that. No longer moving slowly he scans and hands the six packs to me at lightning speed and then the Cokes. Doesn't bag them or set the to the side so that I can load the cart at a normal pace. As I lifted one bottle from his hands it slipped from my grip, at a level just below my waist and hit my foot. Actually my second and third toes of my left foot and then bounced into the air before hitting the floor. Didn't even hurt too much ....... at first. The pain hit me while I was paying and I thought I was going to hurl on the kid before I could get out of the store. I am pretty sure my third toe is broken. He who delivers picnic tables suggested I go to the ER, but, really, why bother. They don't set toes and it looks okay except for the impressive bruise creeping up my foot. I reminded he who hates check-ins that we have a park to fill today and he agreed that I didn't need medical attention.


So here I am. Have checked in a few, but the onslaught won't happen until folks get off work and muscle their way through the traffic to get here. Things could be worse. At least it was my left foot and didn't affect my driving home. I have a nice comfy chair to sit in ........... and I have my computer. All is well ..... for now.

11 comments:

houndstooth said...

I would say something to the manager at that store! You really should get it looked at in case it's worse. I believe they're supposed to cover injuries that are their fault in the store.

SkippyMom said...

I think you ought to use the "oops dropped a 2 litre pepsi on your foot" for any camper that is even a lil' bit obnoxious. You could say, as you handing the bottle over and planning the drop, that it is a free gift for the weekend and WHOOPS, bam - they have an ouchy foot too.

Obviously I am kidding. They'd sue. hee

Hope the night is obnoxious people free and your foot feels better - have you tried taping it to the other toe for stability? Sometimes that helps. Good thoughs for a quiet night [I know...I know....]

Sandi McBride said...

What houndstooth said! Store manager would have gotten my attention for sure! Hope you take a quick lie down and ice your foot...hope your weekend is a grand one!
Sandi

Sunny said...

Oh Kathy we must have been in the same store today!
I hope your weekend improves!
☼ Sunny

mamahasspoken said...

We have a new Krogers here where you put your food on the conveyor belt the computer (not a person) scans and prices the items and at the end there is a bag boy bagging it. I haven't used it yet but some of my friends have and they are loving it.
Sounds like you could have use this today.

Brian Miller said...

ack. i do hope that your foot is ok...would not want it to flair up in the midst of all your chaos...watch it close...

Emma Rose said...

We've had our reservations for nine months for this weekend. We are going to our favorite State Park to camp with several couples. We promise to be really good campers!


Have a great weekend :)

Emma Rose and the Duchess

ellen abbott said...

And another season begins. really, I look forward to the stories.

And how hard is it to tell the early birds that they can't get into their site because it isn't check-out time yet?

Whitney Lee said...

I'm thinking that people are idiots. This post is merely proof of that fact. I've gotten to where I hate the checkout line at the grocery store-all goes well until I hit the checkout line. I seem to always go on the day that all the food stamps come out, which is fine except that it seems to always be senior citizens day as well. So the store is packed and everyone in front of me has to go through 3 different checkout processes for their food stamp requirements or something...And then I end up with the annoying checkout gal who wants to comment on all of my items or tell me all about what she likes to buy. Then I have to remind myself that grocery shopping is my break from the kids and is supposed to be fun. And none of that made your toe feel better! Fix a drink or a bowl of ice cream and relax:)

menopausaloldbag (MOB) said...

OOh a broken toe is a bad thing. Too sore for words. The world is full of eejits like yer man at the store. Luckily, neither you now I have married one like that! Take care of that toe!

Pat said...

I can't believe you didn't say anything right then and there in the store! That kid was WRONG to be shoving the bottles at you. You usually have no trouble saying what's on your mind! They would have covered any medical bills. Now it might be your word against his! I would have been tempted to bat that kid over the head with the bottle!