Monday, February 15, 2010

Getting Ready To Go....

Still snowing. Finally got new boots. In a bright color so I won't have trouble locating them. Easy to slip on and shuffle through the snow to get more firewood. Gotta keep my fingers warm as I get everything ready to go north to the grandchildren ..........
Three little girls need three monkeys. I would say these are late Valentines, but really, they are just because I love them.


Blue for Maya, the oldest. Maya goes to Kindergarten and is the oldest. She is the helpful big sister. She has a shy sweet smile and is slow to warm up to strangers (and Gramma Kaffy, who she doesn't get to see that often)

Jada loves pink. Her Daddy told me so. Jada is a hot pink sort of girl. She has no problem expressing herself and will do so. You will notice that the blue monkey and the pink monkey are exactly the same except for color. Maya and Jada are very competitive and Gramma Kaffy does not like little girl tears and fights.

Baby Zara will get a baby monkey. This was a pair of toddler knee socks. Harder to work with, but worth the effort, don't you think? It is just coincidental that the baby monkey sort of matches in design, I bought the socks at different stores.

My little guy, Gavin, wants a skateboard bedspread. The only fabric I could find was flannel. I like flannel, especially when it is cold outside. I wasn't crazy about the black background, but it has the requisite skateboards. His favorite color is green. I was going to go buy some green broad cloth and some batting. I will admit that I was putting the task off because I wasn't looking forward to hand basting the layers together. Procrastination paid off! I found in my fit of spring cleaning a set of flannel sheets and they are green! the top sheet was the right dimensions for the finished product and I decided that two layers of flannel would provide enough weight for a bedspread without the additional layer of batting. Took a whole afternoon, but I ran a line of stitches between each row of skateboards, then self hemmed the sides and used cotton blanket bindings on the top and bottom. It is just the right weight and the flannel lining will help it stay where you put it. Gavin is responsible for his own room and this will make it easier for his little hands to "make" his bed.

I found some green broadcloth in my stash. Not enough of either one for two pillow cases, so I made one of each color and trimmed them out with a strip of leftover skateboard fabric. I hate waste, you know.
I am hoping the roads will be clear as I am about to venture out to purchase a separating zipper to repair a hoodie for my oldest grandson, Gage. I hope I can find the right size. I have a zipper in the right size, but it is navy blue and I need black. Gage is almost 15 and very fashion conscious, so it has to be the right color. Teens. Gotta love them and I love this one the best!
This is just a few of the items I have packed to go and the large suitcase is full. I may end up wearing all my clothes in layers just to get them there!







17 comments:

mamahasspoken said...

Cut handy work if I say so, they are some lucky grandchildren!

ellen abbott said...

Gotta love those boots!

Kathy G said...

LOVE the boots! I tried to buy some new ones last month, but found them all picked over. I guess I'll have to get them at the beginning of the season next year.

Brian Miller said...

nice boots. and what colors in the monkeys! my son would love a skateboard blanket...might have to put that idea in T's head...

Mike said...

The way this winter is going, you are going to have enough of those sock things to last you ten years! LOL!

houndstooth said...

I love your boots! Where did you find those?

I also love the pink sock monkey! I wish I could find one in pink stripes. I'm sure your grandchildren will be thrilled with their gifts!

Missy said...

Wow, I wish you'd come visit me and bring me a blanket and a sock monkey. I love seeing the stuff you make! I love home made stuff. Also, nice golf cart! I'd say he scores some major points for that one.

joanne said...

love the boots and the bedspread but gotta say I LOVE the monkeys...those dotted ones are adorable. Lucky grandbabies...;p

Rae said...

Your sewing projects are really nice. Your grandkids are very lucky to have such a talented grandma. Love those green boots too.

The Good Cook said...

Love the skateboard blanket and I know the girls will love those monkeys. Have a wonderful visit. Grandlittles and middles are the best!

SkippyMom said...

Don't laugh - but my teenagers are so thrilled with the monkeys I bought from you for them for Valentine's Day they are going to SCHOOL with the today. They have clipped them on their backpacks [they have been named Charlie & Charlotte]

Please have a safe trip [love the boots] and see you soon.

Sandi McBride said...

wonderful work, Kathy...I love the quilt...and flannel is yummy any time of year! But those boots! I gotta have a pair of those Emerald City boots!!
hugs
Sandi

Sunny said...

LOVE your boots! Great color. I could use them here today, it's snowing to beat the band!
Your monkeys are so cute and the bedspread is wonderful. The grandchildren will love all of it.
Sunny :)

Anonymous said...

Oh my, they are the coolest boots EVER. I need me some of those yesterday ;0)

Teresa said...

Love the boots! Love the monkeys! Love the quilt! Gosh - I just love everything. LOL! I can't sew. If I can't staple it, tape it, or glue it - I can't do it!

Have fun on your trip.

Pat said...

You are putting this grandma to shame! I can't sew worth a darn, let alone make any of these nice gifts! Wow! Your grandchildren are so lucky to have such a crafty grandmother! Love those sock monkeys and that quilt is great! They are going to love their gifts!

Whitney Lee said...

What incredibly fortunate grandchildren! I absolutely love the handmade stuff.

My kids are fortunate as well because they already have some handmade items that will become keepsakes. Of course, they were not made by me!