Tuesday, November 30, 2021

Where Was I?

 Where did we leave off when last we "spoke"? In spite of all the drama, we found our new abode to be tranquil and relaxing. We bounced ideas around about the placement of furniture and the plans for the great outdoors. It was relaxing.

On Wednesday, the day before Thanksgiving, we reloaded the fridge in the RV and got everything in the house locked up until our final return to start our new adventure. We headed south to Perry, GA to spend Thanksgiving with family for the first time in many years. 

Being tied to the park, as we were (note that I used past tense) meant we usually hosted that day for all the campers with no destination for the day. I love to cook and see others enjoy the fruits of my labor, so it was still a day I looked forward to. This Thanksgiving I was simply a guest! It was strange not to awake early to get everything going, but I had the best time. We saw family we had not seen in years and met new members of the family. Our nephew, Davis and his new wife, Emily, were in attendance and she was a delight. Of course, the four year old son of our niece, Tara, Hollis stole everyone's heart.

It was supposed to be a 4 hour drive. Besides the fact that it was the day before Thanksgiving, it was quite a challenge. The drive would have been lovely .... in a car, but it was downhill and steep with lots of switchbacks. I could smell the brakes! We drove through Helen, the streets were full of people strolling along. Christmas lights were everywhere. This was only about 50 miles from our new home and will definetly be revisited. I want to see it at night.

As we approached Atlanta, the traffic increased dramatically. First we slowed, then finally came to a stop. It was stop and go after that. We traveled at a snail's pace until we got on interstate 75. The trip was 6 hours and we were exhausted upon arrival. My sister-in-law had soup ready for all the travelers trickling in. The big surprise waiting for us was our daughter, Adrienne and her son, Gavin! Last time we were able to see our grandson was in the hospital room when his Papa had a heart attack. Two years ago. His hug was worth all the aggravation of the entire trip!

Okay, back to more calamities. When we arrived at our new home and removed the car from the dolly, it sort of rolled into a tree/bush that stopped it from traveling down a slope to another road below us. It stayed there until we were ready to hook it up again. Usually it is simply pulled by HeWho to line up with the hitch on the coach, but it was stuck. Thanks be to the woman who packs limb loppers, a shovel and a rake! We cut the limbs down low and hooked it to a towing strap to pull it out and on a path to the RV.

Still hooked to the strap, the two of us pulled it up almost to the hitch before losing it to roll back downhill again. It was jerked to a stop. I grabbed some rocks to put behind the wheels and we pulled it up in increments. About four feet away, HeWho decided to back up the RV. I admit that this was a scary proposition to me. I was afraid he would not be able to stop with any precision and back over the dolly. I would do my best to make that NOT happen, but experience has taught me that my voice would appear to be a tone he does not hear.

His first attempt was almost perfectly lined up and would have been an easy hook-up had he stopped when I told him to. Thank goodness the back wheels of the RV are so far up! He finally listened to me when I screamed STOP and managed to get it hooked up. He even listened when I suggested he drive down the hill to little gas station that provided me with coffee so we could put the car on the dolly on level ground.

You need to know that HeWho is not a planner. That morning I had said we need to leave no later that 1pm to get there before dark. I ran around taking care of necessary preparations. I got everything on-board, but planned to take some other things on-board into the house to leave there. I wasn't ready to go at 11:30 when we attached the dolly. Another 15 minutes was all I needed, but he drove away! I collected the dogs and leashed them, saw his phone and his stainless steel mug sitting there and a few things I had not yet loaded. I crammed everything I could in my purse and slung it on my shoulder and grabbed the leashes. Eddie got caught behind the door and as I tried to let go of his leash I lost Bo's leash, as well. He was happy to wander around unencumbered by my hold and I crammed the two remaining dogs into my car and gave chase to the little stinker. I was able to stomp down on his leash and scoop him up. All the while Eddie is crying pitifully in the background, afraid he was being left behind.

I thought HeWho was already at the bottom of the hill waiting for me and the car and gave out a little shriek when I turned and he was suddenly there! He had stopped at the top of our driveway and walked back to help me! Chivalry? Maybe, but I think he knew he had forgotten his mug of flavored water. He helped me get all the dogs in the car and drove us to the RV (you didn't think he would walk back up that hill, did you?) He headed to the RV and I quickly stopped him to hand him his phone. I was getting into the car when he suddenly turned back and with a look of sheer panic asked if I had picked up his gum! Having given up cigarettes, he is now addicted to sugar free juicy fruit. I buy it in the refill bag of 120 pieces and I get 3 bags at a time so we have gum at the ready ALWAYS.

We met at the gas station and the car went on the dolly with great precision. We are getting good at this. Lest you think it went smoothly at this point, let me remind you that we would appear to be a comedy act of calamities. After the car is on, the front wheels need to be strapped down. He went to back floor board of the car and found only one strap. There are two wheels. Suddenly I remembered picking up the other strap with a bunch of fence posts and shepherd's hooks and not putting it back! It was MY fault. He was greatly annoyed and I toyed with thoughts of letting him think he misplaced the other strap. 

I couldn't do it and I fessed up. He was ready to go back to the house and get it. He asked me where I put it. I am usually good at retracing my steps in my mind and visualizing a location, but I was totally blank. Fortunately he remembered the tow strap as I was about to go in that gas station and ask if they sold them or anything that might work. He cut a piece and we set off to burn our brakes down the mountain.

Come back tomorrow and I will enchant you with the menu of a true southern Thanksgiving. Spoiler alert ... THREE turkeys.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I laughed until my side hurt! You would make a great sit com.

I've been sad at the thought of losing your camp site stories, but these are just as funny. I'll still miss hearing about the people you meet checking in, the residents, helpers and hellions though. You and your mister remind me of me and mine sometimes. Funny happens when and where it will.

Be well.

River said...

It's almost like watching a movie in my mind with Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz.

Val said...

I can't wait for you to get fast internet so you can show us pictures of your new place. And of the four-legged family members!

Linda O'Connell said...

Once you are setelled in the snowy mountains, you need to write that book. Your life is such an adventure and your writing is spectacular.