Tuesday, October 5, 2021

Day Two of the Great Escape

 Day 2 was pretty uneventful, as far as mishaps go. It didn't start out well, what with HeWho trying to pull out of our site without bringing the levelers up. We used to be pretty adept at traveling, but the 18 years spent on the other side has made us newbies! It makes an awful noise and me saying to HeWho, "Something is wrong," didn't help.

He got out and checked the car, the car dolly and the entire length of the rig and was still baffled. A helpful camper came to the rescue. So glad we didn't chat up anyone and mention that we owned a campground and start in with stories (that would be me, by the way). 

Crisis averted we went on our merry way. So far the trip was a familiar one, especially to me. I listened to a book and played with a puzzle on my laptop until we changed directions into the mountainous terrain in Tennessee. I was quite literrally sitting on the edge of my seat (the couch) in order to see and try to take pictures. No, I can't sit in the passenger seat, as all 4 dogs want to be in my lap. I finally turned the big comfy passenger seat I longed to sit in to face sideways so I could get a good view while sitting back on the couch. We traveled by the Ocoee River for miles and miles. The leaves are turning colors and it was beautiful.

Like a mother with toddlers, I couldn't aim my phone in time to get any good shots. We arrived here just in time for check-in. All set up and all the canines having had a walk to smell previous critters passing through and thoroughly marking this new territory for future travelers to sniff, we relaxed a bit. It was nice to have nothing to do. Except answer the phone and take reservations and cancellations on my part. We actually watched a movie.

We are staying at the State Fair Campground in Hiawassee, Georgia. We went out to explore the area and find a place to eat. Most places were closed until Wednesday. Probably not worth it to open up before the weekend crowds. Ended up at an Asian place serving Chinese, Japanese, and Thai food. In our masks, we definitely stood out. We chose an isolated booth and went with Thai food, declining the offer to sit around the hot grill and watch our food being prepared. Cheek to cheek were the folks sitting around the grill, no social distance precautions here. Just not worth the slightest chance to contract the virus to me.

Another good nights sleep listening to the rain patter. Just a steady gentle rain. Upon awakening this morning with Bo looking at himself in the closet door mirror and Eddie gently nosing me to tell me his bladder was full, I asked the man of this rig if he could put the awning out for the dogs to have a dry place to do business.

"I don't know how," he mumbles. Supposed to be the push of a button, but it doesn't seem to be working and he did not want to try to figure it out in the rain. Looking on the bright side, we won't have to worry about getting the awning in before we leave. Today we will be driving by properties and determining whether or not we would be able to get our 40 feet of RV in and out easily. That will narrow down our prospects considerably.

We left with no umbrellas, of course. I am hoping to find a stray one in my car. The dogs will be going along for the ride, so the dog food has been withheld so far. Bo and his delicate stomach. He gets over it pretty quick and only threw up twice the first morning, but the car might trigger another event, so we will wait to feed!

First stop will probably be the closest Walmart for umbrellas and more bottles water! This park is on Lake Chatuge and the water smells like it might be tapped from a stagnant area of the lake! Still enjoying sitting here with my coffee, I have already had three calls on the store phone. I have the reservation book with me and didn't even have to get up to take care of it!

Now I am off to explore the pssibilities that await my inspection! Rain is forecast for our entire stay!

3 comments:

Jo-Anne's Ramblings said...

Of course it will rain life is like that

dkzody said...

I hope you find the most wonderful place to call home.

Joanne Noragon said...

I'm thinking good thoughts and wishing good luck to you.