Tuesday, September 28, 2021

I Won't Miss This

My Dad would have been 91 last week. I have been thinking of him all month. I called my sister to commiserate, then remembered that she was gone, as well. Never will I be able to talk to someone who knew me all my life again. Seems so final and sad.

I managed to reduce both our wardrobes by about 60%. I filled one of those donation boxes that sit in parking lots. That felt good, so I have been measuring all my fabric to have a yard sale. I am willing to bet I have over 500 yards of fabric in my sewing room. Even if I sewed all day every day, I would never use it all. One dollar a yard. These are good yards, too. No inches involved.

HeWho has been busy getting the RV ready for a trip to look at properties. I spoke with a realtor in North Carolina and now just have to contact the realtor in Georgia. There are only about 5 that fall into my category. If I had my way, we would not return until I bought one. Not that I usually don't get my way, but we have to come back. We will leave on Sunday and stay just south of Nashville that night, then on to Hiawassee to stay until Thursday morning when we will head back for the weekend. Hiawassee is central to the areas we want to look at. We could probably make the trip in one day, but we are old and need our rest.

Meantime, I still have the store phone to annoy me, along with campers! When I get a call saying they want to make a reservation, I automatically head to my desk. On my way, I ask pertinent questions. "Will you need 50 amp or 30 amp?" 'Um, I don't know' is not helpful as an answer. Another favorite answer is, 'we could use either one'.  It is helpful to know where to put the camper. 

After determining the electrical needs, I move on to "Would you prefer shade or no trees?" 'Huh'? I think the question should be easy to answer. Some of them will have a map of my park at hand and will start calling out site numbers they want. Since we are always 50% occupied, this can be a lengthy endeavor. It is easier to tell them what is available. All the while I can hear other calls going to voice mail.

After all this, they will say they need to think about it and call me back! Making me wonder why they begin with telling me they want to make a reservation. I won't miss this.

7 comments:

Allison said...

When we left Seattle and downsized, the fabric was the hardest thing for me to let go of. I kept the batiks and the flannels, the rest of it went. I hope you find a place you like and it goes smoothly for you. Gook luck with the search.

Donna. W said...

I can so relate to your statement, "Never will I be able to talk to someone who knew me all my life again."

My sister is 93 and lives far away in Edmund, Oklahoma. Because of the pandemic, we don't want to visit her just in case. She was 15 when I was born, and took her turn walking the floor with me when I had colic. My parents are dead, my brother is dead, all aunts and uncles are gone. Now I can't visit the closest relative I have left.

Jo-Anne's Ramblings said...

There are many days when I go to ring Mum only to remember she has passed.........it hurts

Joanne Noragon said...

Best of luck for a speedy selection of the perfect home!

River said...

I hope you find the perfect place right away.

Chain Stitch Crochet said...

I wish I was closer to you. I am very interested in your fabric and would love to add to my fabric stash. I retire in 14 weeks and the sewing room will be getting a lot of use.

Chain Stitch Crochet said...

I sent you an email....from hdvixen at aol dot com