Sunday, May 31, 2015

Strawberry Bread


My little strawberry patch has been over producing this year. I am picking about a quart a day ..... that is a quart of sliced and cleaned berries ready to freeze. We have been eating them, of course, but after awhile, you really don't want another strawberry shortcake.

I made some pretzel salad with the strawberries. Why do they call it pretzel salad? The only pretzel part is the bottom crust, then cream cheese and whipped cream topped with fresh strawberries folded into strawberry jello.  But, I am trying to incorporate more of these tasty berries into dinner. I have frozen as many as I need. I dried some, but was not all that happy with the results. I made some preserves, as well. I have given away as many as I have processed, and still I keep picking.


So, today, I consulted my good friend, Pinterest, and enlisted the help of all who visit there. I decided upon strawberry bread. I chose a very simple sounding recipe (mainly because all the ingredients were already in my house). It made two loaves and used two cups of berries, all smashed up.

I mixed up the flour and all the dry ingredient in one bowl and the eggs, berries and oil in the other and combined them with a light touch, being careful not to over-mix  and filled my loaf pans and popped them into my pre-heated oven for 50 minutes. I even remembered to set the timer and not rely on my tried and true method of sticking a knife in to see if it comes out clean.

In all honesty, I have to admit that I totally forgot about the bread and got really involved with some weeding. I don't know how long the buzzer had been sounding when I finally remembered to check my bread. They were golden brown on top and I figured I had not missed the timer for long. I lifted the heavy bread pans out of the oven. I knew before I even tried to get them out of the pans that they were going to be doughy. Still, I decided to trust the recipe and tried to turn the loaves out of the pans.

Big mistake. The top 2/3's came off to reveal the uncooked batter underneath. I put them back in the oven for an additional 30 minutes. It is done, but I can't give one away, as I had planned and I know we won't eat much of it. Looks like the birds will have a treat.

This recipe had rave revues, wonder what I did wrong?

5 comments:

Val said...

I guess you could open a shop called "Top o' the Bread Loaf to You." But be careful what you do with the loaf stumps. I've heard from my good friend Rebecca DeMornay that the homeless don't appreciate them.

Joanne Noragon said...

I think I would have trouble keeping the birds out of the strawberry bed.

luksky said...

I use strawberries in smoothies and I also make a spinach/strawberry salad that's good. I have a strawberry plant that I planted a couple of years ago, but it doesn't yield but one or two strawberries at a time and they are too dinky to do anything with. I'm hoping it will do better as it matures....I don't have much of a green thumb so we will see.

ellen abbott said...

there was a small lunch spot that had gourmet sandwiches and soups that we used to go to for lunch. one of the best things I ate there was strawberry soup, served cold. you might try that.

Anonymous said...

It's Pinterest. I have yet to find a recipe there that is decent. Or at least without a lot of changes on my part. I'm guessing that people who like to Pinterest recipes don't much like to eat.