Sunday, April 26, 2015

It's Raining Beans

I am so happy to see this week end. All week long I have been a calamity of misdeeds. Everything I touch seems to go to hell in a hand basket. From my spotty internet connections to my spectacular trip and fall a few minutes ago, it has been a very long week.

I have been unable to find my movie streamer. Maybe I should engage the antics of He Who still hunts the muskrat. Perhaps he could concoct a trap of sorts that would not involve mating calls of muskrats. I can get on-line, but I can't stay on-line.

The high spot of the week was having lunch out today with He Who is my sweet husband. From there we stopped at WalMart, not my usual WalMart, but one in a different city. He dropped me off at the door and headed to Lowes to get something. He told me, I wasn't listening. I was salivating at the thought of roaming the garden center for rescue plants.

I was supposed to be gathering the few items we actually needed, but we all know I would not do that until I quenched my thirst in the garden area. I scored a flat of petunias for a song. They were half price and only needed dead heading. We came home and I started playing in dirt.

I decided to start dinner first, though. He Who had requested lima beans and rice, chopped onion on the side. I had no limas in my pantry, so got some at WalMart. Have you seen the price of dried beans? Nearly $5 for 2 lbs.! Anyhoo, I pulled out the pressure cooker. I needed some serious cooking done fast since I had not had the opportunity to soak those beans.

I am adept with the pressure cooker. I loaded my beans with plenty of water and waited until it was chugging away and turned down the temperature of the burner before going outside. I do this all the time. I gathered my rescues and supplies. I carefully sewed burlap into the hanging baskets before putting in my specially treated potting soil. This happens when you fill a diaper with water and then remove those little moisture absorbing bead things, then mix those with your miracle grow potting soil. Supposed to hold the moisture in for those days you forget to water your hanging baskets. I will let you know if it works.

After sewing my first basket and planting it, I decided to check on my stove. The lid was still intact, but the little thing that is supposed to sit atop the lid and regulate the steam was laying on the stove and lima bean water was spewing everywhere. This is not good. I opened the pot to determine how much water was left and added water, happy to note that al the moisture had not escaped.

The stovetop was afloat with starchy water, as well as the floor. Oscar the cantankerous doxie was right there in the middle of it all, happily licking the floor. I cleaned up the stove and restarted the beans. Went back to the second hanging basket and finally got them hanging with all the other baskets. I watered them all and then came in to finish dinner.

It was only when I started cleaning up the dishes that I noticed the goo dripping from the ceiling.
I hauled a step stool in and got the dripping part dealt with. I saw that the microwave and the shelf above it were also in need of a good scrub down. I climbed down, deciding that I was losing light and wanted to get the last basket done.

This is when I realized I had left the water on outside. In my haste to get to the faucet, I tripped, falling headlong into my ground cover. That stuff sure can soften your fall! My chin even hit the ground and other than a stain on my pants at the knee, I suffered nothing other than my pride. Of course, it could be said that I have no pride, given the fact that I just told everyone about it.

So, now, while I have internet (I hope), I will publish this and head to bed. Next week will be better. I will be washing my ceiling and cabinets tomorrow. Probably needs it anyway.

6 comments:

joanne said...

it will get better, at least that is what i keep telling myself!

Linda O'Connell said...

I'm going to call you Calamity Kathy. Let your garden take you away, and relax today.

Joanne Noragon said...

Those should be some really awesome baskets.

-blessed holy socks, the non-perishable-zealot said...

High, girl! Just a savvy lil' witty ditty on why we ROTE our 22 blogs; I'd also looove to write many stimulating, zzAny novels with you beyond the clouds!

Faith, hope, and love -
the greatest of these is love:
jump into faith...
and you'll see with love.
Doesn’t matter if you don’t believe
(what I write);
God believes in you.
God. Bless. You.
Meet me where the Son never goes down…

Val said...

Maybe you need to take this show on the road.

Kathy G said...

You have such a knack for making bad things sound funny!