Monday, September 15, 2014

Lizzie Borden Took An Ax .........


The itch has relented and now I am treating the super dry skin left behind. Other than the cough and wonky head, I feel almost normal ..... whatever that is.

Saturday, as I am contemplating closing the store early, having no pending reservations, a couple comes in and I stand to greet them. It had been a lovely day with mild temperatures and I was surprised to see them bundled up with heavy sweaters under coats and scarves round their necks. There were a matching set, round faced with red cheeks and gray hair. I wasn't sure if the red cheeks were from being dressed too warm, or maybe they had been drinking some spirits.

I asked if I could help them and they wanted to know if I sold axes. I can honestly say that this was a new request and my mind immediately went to the cost of stocking such an item. This couple was not staying here and I wanted to ask what they were going to do with the ax, as they kept looking at each other and giggling. I decided not to ask and suggested they might try a hardware store in town.

Still grinning at each other they turned and left the store. And that is when I saw the rest of their attire. Seersucker shorts, mid-calf socks and hiking boots. I am sorry I didn't ask what they needed that ax for ........ or, am I?

3 comments:

Val said...

Whew! You'd better watch the local news in case somebody gets 40 whacks. Or 41!

joanne said...

what the heck??? I swear you are a magnet!

Linda O'Connell said...

Hmmm, maybe they are trailblazers. I would be afraid to ask why they needed it.